If you don’t know, now you know: I’m Moroccan! But hey, let’s be honest, I’m sure you’ve been able to tell based on my absolute LOVE for spices! <3
Today, I decided to make some chicken burgers & to spice ‘em up with a little taste of my roots a.k.a. I present you with my MOROCCAN-SPICED CHICKEN BURGERS (with an added dose of fibre because, YES, fibre is ALWAYS NECESSARY!).
The secret ingredient in these babies is saffron, a potent, flavourful & delicious Moroccan spice often added to marinades, sauces & tajines! It’s known for the famous saying “a little goes a long way!”. But don’t worry if you don’t have any… the rest of the spices will give you all the flavour you’re looking for, I promise!
There are two ways to use saffron. You can soak it in hot water or liquid before adding it to your dish or marinade (to help release intensified flavour & colour), or you can simply chop it up dried really finely or crush it with a mortar & pestle & throw it into your recipe! Since I was making chicken burgers, I decided not to soak it because I didn’t want to add any excess moisture to the burgers, as it might prevent them from holding together! So instead, I chopped it up really finely & threw it in with the rest of the ingredients.
These burgers are so good, you’ll devour them before you even have a chance to toast your bun! But, in case you can resist temptation just a bit, here are some ideas for how to devour these babies: in a traditional gluten-free burger bun, pita pocket, on sprouted toast, chopped up in a salad, as your protein source in a Buddha bowl, coconut wrap, baguette, lettuce wrap or as is dipped in your fave Dijon or yellow mustard or sugar-free ketchup!
AND guess what? I loaded them with psyllium husks (instead of breadcrumbs) for extra fibre & gut-health boosting benefits!
They’re packed with tons of spices, which provide a heck of a lot of flavour, but also tons of health benefits, as well as fresh herbs, which help detoxify, contain chlorophyll & antioxidants & provide a host of vitamins & minerals.
Let’s talk about some of the spices in here:
- Turmeric: anti-inflammatory, contains antioxidants, stimulates digestion, anti-microbial, heals wounds & relieves pain naturally, protects skin & boosts immunity.
- Cumin: immunity-boosting, prevents disease, helps alleviate cough & congestion, great for digestive health, anti-bacterial, anti-microbial & anti-diabetic.
- Saffron: helps with asthma, menstrual cramps, depression, insomnia & improves lung function, lowers bad cholesterol, rejuvenates the mind, improves digestion & reduces inflammation.
Going back to what I said earlier: you get flavour but you also get health! IT’S LIKE A TWO FOR ONE!
Now, without further ado… because I know you are salivating at the photos, let alone the description of these crispy chicken burgers, let’s get to the nitty-gritty!
BTW, in case you were wondering, you could totally make these babies into meatballs, if you prefer!
- 1 packet extra-lean ground chicken (or turkey)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 white onion, diced
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp. Sriracha
- 1/4 tsp. organic saffron, diced finely
- 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. minced onion
- 1 heaping tbsp. psyllium husks
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
TO MAKE (12 burgers):
- Preheat the oven to 375F & line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl & mix with a wooden spoon until combined & incorporated.
- Shape into 12 burgers & place them on the parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 23-25 min., until golden brown & sizzling.
- Once baked, broil on high for 2 min. to get the outsides extra crispy.
- ENJOY! :))
- Store leftovers in an airtight container & refrigerate!