Perfectly Grilled Asian Orange Honey Ginger Salmon Fillets a.k.a. Oh-My-SALMON-Goodness & Can We Talk About Those Grill Marks?
A CLASSIC (ya feel me?)…
PERFECTLY GRILLED ASIAN ORANGE HONEY GINGER SALMON!
I mean… are you not salivating just at the description of this dish? I know I am. And that’s saying a lot because salmon is not my fave fish… BUT WHEN IT’S MARINATED THIS WAY, YOU CAN BET I CAN’T RESIST IT!
Salmon is healthy, y’all must know that because who doesn’t, right? But… do you know why? That’s a whole different ball game. A lot of people KNOW that certain foods are healthy & others aren’t, but they don’t really know the reasons behind the health or lack thereof of specific foods. For me, this journey towards a healthy lifestyle has been all about educating myself & knowing & understanding WHY I choose to eat or not to eat certain foods & make them (or not make them) a part of my daily routines.
All this to say, yes, you’re right, salmon is healthy, but what’s so good about salmon?
- It’s rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which means it’s super anti-inflammatory & healing for the gut, skin & heart!
- It’s a great source of protein & healthy fats, which makes it super filling, satisfying & a great way to give your muscles & body the fuel it needs to grow, get stronger & sustain your daily needs.
- It’s high in B vitamins, which are crucial for maintaining sustained energy levels, cognitive health & function, mental stability, skin health & fighting fatigue.
- It’s a great source of potassium, which believe it or not, is a mineral that MANY OF US are lacking. No, you can’t just eat bananas everyday & think you’re getting all the potassium you need. Potassium is more important than you think & is necessary for your body to function adequately, to maintain healthy & balanced sodium levels & to control & regulate blood pressure.
- It’s loaded with selenium & astaxanthin, two very important antioxidants, that help the body fight free radicals, oxidative stress & boost immunity.
So yes, in case you were wondering, IT MIGHT JUST BE A GOOD IDEA TO INCORPORATE MORE SALMON INTO YOUR LIFE!
For this recipe, as always, I used coconut aminos instead of soy for reduced sodium, more enzymes & amino acids & the same sweet flavour! If you guys don’t know, I completely cut out soy sauce from my diet about a year ago & switched to coconut aminos & TBH, I’d never go back! I get so many more health benefits from coconut aminos, NO BLOAT & I don’t feel like I”m sacrificing or compromising flavour!
The orange adds a sweet citrusy dose of deliciousness, while the raw honey balances out the acidity! I also threw in some garlic & ginger to add some spice, with red pepper flakes for some heat! OH & BTW, yes, the orange & honey provide a HUGE DOSE OF IMMUNE-BOOSTING, SKIN-HEALING & COLLAGEN PROMOTING VITAMIN C!
This dish is so easy, simple & quick to prepare & is the perfect meal prep staple but also a super fast lunch or dinner to whip up if you’re pressed for time OR if you just LOVE salmon!
Without further ado, let’s talk ingredients & how to make it!
- 2 salmon fillets, sliced in half or keep them whole, if you wish
- 1/2 cup Naked Coconuts coconut aminos
- 2-3 tbsp. raw organic creamed honey
- The juice of one fresh orange
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Sea salt & black pepper to season
- Slice your salmon fillets to desired size or keep them whole.
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the marinade ingredients until combined.
- Place the salmon in a medium mixing bowl, pour the marinade over it & toss gently to coat.
- Refrigerate to let marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Cook your salmon.
- You can use an indoor grill like I did. Heat it to 400F, Place the salmon on the grill, close & cook for about 7-9 minutes or until fish flakes with a fork.
- You can also cook the salmon in a large skillet.
- You can also bake it in the oven by preheating to 375F, lining a baking sheet with parchment or aluminum & loosely wrapping the foil or parchment around to trap the steam. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until it flakes!
- ENJOY with fresh lemon juice & your fave Dijon mustard!