I hope you all had an amazing weekend!
Okay, so meal prep is SUPER fun for me every week, but this week, for some reason, I had EVEN MORE fun than usual with it. I put together some really exciting & delicious recipes that I cannot wait to share with you guys!
The first thing I made this weekend are these gluten-free & vegan chocolate tart cherry Garcia protein bites!
Ever heard of Ben & Jerry’s CHERRY GARCIA ICE CREAM? I bet you have, because like who hasn’t, right? In case you’re one of the very rare few, it’s basically cherry ice cream with you guessed it, CHERRIES & FUDGE FLAKES! The thing about this ice cream is it’s full of cream, liquid sugar (a.k.a. refined & added sugar), MORE SUGAR, food colouring, gums, natural flavours, CARAGEENAN & milk fat. You can imagine that it’s not really up my alley (even though it was when I was a kid, ’cause hey, YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!).
Anywho, my goal with these babies was to re-create a reminder of cherry Garcia ice cream, but in healthy form! They will most certainly remind you of the ice cream (but no, they aren’t the real deal, sorry not sorry!). They’re raw, vegan, gluten, refined sugar, carrageenan & dairy-free. And nope, they contain NO BINDERS, NO GUMS, NO FILLERS & NO PRESERVATIVES. Just real damn food.
Oh & don’t think I forgot about you… NEED A NUT-FREE ALTERNATIVE? No problem! Just sub the almond butter for sunflower seed butter or hemp seed butter! When there’s a will, there’s a way, guys!
So, if I had to describe these balls of wonderfulness in just a few words, I’d say:
- Deliciously chocolatey & so satisfying!
- Naturally sweet!
- No bake!
- Ready in just 10 minutes with ONLY 7 ingredients!
- Can be enjoyed cold but also warm if you’re craving a cookie!
- Rich in fibre, healthy fats & antioxidants!
BTW, y’all know how I feel about tart cherry, right? It’s actually a supplement that I take daily & one of my go-to frozen fruit that I like to add to smoothies. It contains tons of antioxidants, helps reduce pain & inflammation, improves muscle recovery, lowers cholesterol, reduces risk of heart disease, improves cognitive function, helps increase sleep quality because it’s a natural source of melatonin, reduces blood sugar, improves eye health & slows aging.
PRO TIP: ALWAYS read your labels & make sure that your
Who knew a protein bite could incorporate all of that, right?
Now, without further ado, let’s discuss what’s in these babies & how to make ’em!
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup organic unsweetened dried DARK tart cherries
- 1/4 cup Iron Vegan chocolate sprouted protein powder (or raw organic cacao powder)
- 1 tbsp. chia seeds
- 2/3 cup creamy almond butter (or other nut butter OR seed butter for nut-free alternative)
- 2 tbsp. pure organic maple syrup
- 1 heaping tbsp. raw organic cacao nibs
TO MAKE 12 BITES:
- Add all the ingredients to a large bowl & stir until well combined. I used my hands to make sure all the oats were combined with the other ingredients.
- Roll into 12 balls, wetting your hands in between each 2 or 3 to prevent sticking.
- Store in an airtight container & refrigerate.
- ENJOY! 🙂