Cauliflower Rice With Purple Cabbage, Shredded Carrot & Green Onion a.k.a. Oh Mah Cauli, Baby!
Oh cauli rice, how I’ve missed you!
WELCOME HOME. <3
It’s been a hot minute since I whipped up some cauliflower rice deliciousness!
Cauliflower rice is a great low-carb alternative to rice & contains tons of vitamins, minerals, nutrients, fibre & plant protein! It’s great for healthy digestion & for those trying to cut back on carbs or sugar, especially if you’re at risk of heart disease or diabetes.
I gave this babe of a dish an Asian spin by adding in purple cabbage, shredded carrot & tons of green onion. I seasoned it with coconut aminos, ginger, garlic, rice vinegar, chilli flakes, smoked paprika, cayenne & threw in tons of fresh cilantro. AND OHMYGOODNESS, the flavour is INSANE! It’s got just the right amount of spice to complement the natural sweetness of the coconut aminos & the freshness of the greens! Ohhhhh & don’t get me started about garlic. IS A DISH EVEN REALLY A DISH IF THERE’S NO GARLIC IN IT? LET’S BE REAL HERE.
I love using cauli rice as a base for bowls & I even like throwing a few tbsp. into a crunchy green salad to add some texture & flavour! It’s also great as a side dish with steak, chicken breast, seafood, fish or some type of plant-based protein!
To make things a little more traditional, here’s a fun little add-in for this dish: throw in an egg or 2-3 egg whites at the very end of the cooking process to add some more protein, healthy fats & eggy deliciousness! I would’ve added it in but because I meal prepped this dish to last for the week, I opted not to! Another thing you can do if you are meal prepping it for a few days like I did, is heat the portion you wish to eat in a medium skillet over medium heat & cook your egg/egg whites with it right before serving!
You know how they always say that you should have a rainbow on your plate? WELL HERE’S YOUR ONE STOP SHOP TICKET TO THAT RAINBOW. Not only does this dish taste absolutely marvellous, but the colours of all the veggies are a direct reflection of all the vitamins, minerals & nutrients in here.
You want some antioxidants? Great.
You want some vitamin C? You got it.
Vitamin A? That too.
Fibre? HELL YA.
Detoxifying benefits? OH BABY.
All this to say, no matter whatchu looking for, I got you covered baby.
Now, what are all those fibre & antioxidant-rich veggies that’ll help detoxify your body naturally, promote gut health & healthy skin & make you feel like a million bucks? Let’s get right to it!
- 1 head of cauliflower, stems chopped & processed in your food processor until rice-like consistency is obtained
- 2 heaping handfuls chopped purple (or green) cabbage
- 2 heaping handfuls shredded carrots
- 1 heaping handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. red pepper chilli flakes
- 1/4 cup organic coconut aminos
- 3 tbsp. organic unseasoned (no salt or sugar added) rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar
- Juice of one fresh lemon
- A few pinches of cayenne
- Black pepper & sea salt to taste
- OPTIONAL: 1 egg or 2-3 egg whites (added in at the very end of the cooking process!)
- Chop the stems off your cauliflower & separate the head into florets. Place the florets into the bowl of your food processor & pulse until rice-like consistency is obtained. Be careful not to over-pulse to the point where it turns into cauliflower mush, YA KNOW WHAT I MEAN?
- Add the cauliflower rice & the rest of your ingredients to a large skillet & toss with a wooden spoon or spatula to combine.
- Once all the veggies are combined with the seasoning, heat the skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the cauliflower rice for about 5 minutes on medium-high heat & then lower your heat to medium & cook for another 3-5 minutes, until the veggies begin to cook through, but are still crunchy!
- If you’re adding the egg/egg whites, make a whole in the center of the skillet, pushing the cauliflower rice to the edges, & about 2 minutes before your dish is ready, crack the egg or add in your egg whites & combine it with the cauliflower rice until cooked through.
- Remove the skillet from the heat & serve immediately!
- ENJOY! :))
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container & refrigerate.