Lemon Sriracha Curry Roasted Butternut Squash a.k.a. When I Say Flavour, I Mean Flavour.
If you don’t know, now you now but butternut squash is one of my fave starchy veggies! It’s got such a perfect natural sweetness to it & I find it pairs well with all things sweet & savoury!
These butternut squash half moons or chunks or whatever you wanna cal them are packed with flavour, natural sweetness, a little zest, tons of spice & of course, they’re full of fibre, antioxidants & vitamin C!
I chose to spice these babies up with curry powder, but also threw in a bit of smoked paprika, dried herbs & chipotle powder so that the curry flavour wasn’t so strong that it was overpowering, ya know? Don’t get me wrong, I do love curry, but sometimes, it can be a bit overpowering, let’s be honest.
Whenever I’m spicing up veggies pre-roast, I like to use both lemon & apple cider vinegar to add flavour & health benefits, but also to add moisture to the marinade & to make the spices stick better to the veggies, as opposed to half of them remaining at the bottom of the bowl & not actually coating them.
The trick a.k.a. how I got them to be moist, tender & perfectly cooked on the inside, but charred, browned & roasted to perfection on the outside is to roast them first & then to broil them to get the outsides to crisp up just right!
BTW: They pair super well with my walnut & pistachio “cheesy” pesto (RECIPE HERE).
Before we get into the nitty-gritty, I just want to remind you guys about the benefits of butternut squash (because yes, this is of course something I have spoken about in the past… DUH!).
Butternut squash helps prevent high blood pressure, promotes regularity & proper digestive health, may help improve & protect eyesight (due to vitamin A content), keeps bones strong & healthy, protects the skin, contains tons of antioxidants that fight free radical damage & oxidative stress, as well as help boost immunity, reduces inflammation, which makes it great for overall health, but also for gut health & helps maintain healthy weight.
Here’s how to make them!
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, cut into rounds then halved
- Juice of one fresh lemon
- 1.5 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. chipotle powder
- 1.5-2 tbsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. Sriracha
- 1 tsp. mixed dried herbs of your choice
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Peel, slice & halve your butternut squash.
- Preheat your oven to 400F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the butternut squash in a large bowl & season with all the sauces & spices. Toss to coat.
- Place the butternut squash on the baking sheet, being careful not to pile them. Pour any remaining seasonings over the squash.
- Bake at 400F for 60-65 minutes, then broil on high for 4-5 minutes to get the outsides crispy!
- ENJOY! :))