Gluten-Free Deliciously Juicy Ground Turkey & Cilantro “Cheesy” Meatballs a.k.a. These (Meat)Balls Are Lit!
NEXT UP FOR THIS WEEK’S MEAL PREP: Ground turkey & cilantro “cheesy” meatballs (BUT WITHOUT THE CHEESE!). My goal with these babies was to make meatballs with the minimum amount of ingredients, without compromising flavour! AND BOY DID I NAIL IT.
I have tons of other turkey/chicken meatball recipes (& a great zucchini meatless meatball) up on the blog, some of which require a few more (but still quite simple) ingredients. Here they are if you want to try them out:
- Gluten-Free Lean Ground Turkey Cilantro & Chia Meatballs a.k.a. The Perfect Little Bundles Of Omegas, Protein, Detoxifying Herbs & Joy!
- Gluten-Free Crispy Chicken & Kale Meatballs a.k.a. A Deliciously Scrumptious Nutritional Power(house)ball or Simply Put…. A Future Classic!
- Thai Meatballs on a Bed of Ginger Sesame & Garlic Gluten-Free Noodles a.k.a. The-Cutest-Little-Munchkins-That-You-Ever-Did-See-On-a-Bed-of-Can’t-Get-Enough-Of-You-Sesame-Heaven-Oops-I-Meant-Noodles
- Kelly’s Clean-Eating Gluten-Free Meatless Zucchini “Meatballs” a.k.a. Perfectly-Crisp-On-The-Outside-&-Lusciously-Scrumpsiouly-Delish-On-The-Inside!
BUT RIGHT NOW, LET’S TALK ABOUT THESE!!!
The cheesy flavour comes from the nutritional yeast, which also contains a good amount of plant protein & B12! I kept the rest of the seasoning simple to let the flavour of the nutritional yeast shine & WOAH!
These (meat)balls are lit. That intentionally sounded really bad but y’all catch my drift! They’re crispy & golden brown on the inside but just the right amount of juicy & delicious on the inside!
BTW, the seasonings will work super well with ground chicken or beef as well, so you can modify the recipe to suit your tastebuds & use the meat/poultry of your choice!
If you aren’t down with nutritional yeast (because yes, it does have a distinct flavour), I haven’t been able to find a dairy-free vegan replacement for it! If you eat dairy, you can totally swap the nutritional yeast for the same quantity of some good quality Romano or Parmesan cheese. Otherwise, you can try swapping it for psyllium husks! They have very similar texture to nutritional yeast & will help bind everything together in the same way the nutrition yeast would. While you won’t get the protein & B12 from the pysliium, you will still get a good dose of fibre & benefits for your gut & digestive health.
Without further ado, let’s get right to it!
- 1 package extra-lean ground turkey (or swap for ground chicken or beef)
- 1 medium white onion, diced finely
- A heaping handful of fresh cilantro or parsley
- 2 heaping tbsp. nutritional yeast (or swap for Parmesan, Romano or psyllium husks)
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl & mix until fully combined & incorporated.
- Roll the babes into meatballs of your desired size & place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet. You can place them relatively close to one another.
- Bake the babes for 28-30 minutes. They should be golden brown on the outside once baked.
- Broil on high for 3-4 minutes to get them crispy, but keep a close eye on them to prevent them from burning.
- ENJOY! 🙂