Dijon Sriracha Lemon & Cilantro Grilled Chicken Breast a.k.a. Oh, The Power of Fresh Herbs (& Let’s Talk About Them Grill Marks!)
Since I don’t eat red meat, chicken & turkey are huge staples in my kitchen! Due to his diabetes, I’m also trying to get my dad to slowly lay off the red meat & opt for healthier animal protein alternatives. So, it’s safe to say that we’re pretty big on chicken & turkey when it comes to meal prep because they will often serve as a good base for our lunches & dinners!
I usually like to sweeten my chicken marinades because there’s nothing I love more than a little hint of honey or maple syrup, but this week, I had the bright idea of going more savoury! Instead of honey or maple syrup, I used fresh cilantro (as opposed to dried herbs) & marinated the chicken in it so that the flavours could really meld & WOW is it ever delicious!
BTW, nutrition wise, cilantro is full of antioxidants, detoxifies the liver & body of heavy metals & contains tons of vitamins, minerals & nutrients!
As you guys have probably figured by now, I’m a huge fan of Sriracha. I just find it really adds such delicious flavour & spice to recipes that you can’t really get from many other packaged sauces, without also getting added & refined sugars, preservatives & tons of sodium. If you’re not a huge fan of spicy, you can totally adjust the Sriracha quantity to your heat tolerance.
This chicken is great as a main dish or chopped up on top of a salad or power bowl, in a tortilla wrap, sprouted toast sandwich, pita pocket or lettuce wrap! You can even make your own healthy club sandwich with it!
If you have an indoor grill or a grill pan, I totally recommend busting it out for this recipe! Trust me, it’s totally worth the search deep into your cupboards! There’s just something about those grill marks & that charred & roasted flavour the chicken gets that doesn’t compare to pan-fried/seared, ya feel me?
So, in case you haven’t realized, this recipe is:
- so easy to prepare!
- made with simple ingredients & REAL FOOD!
- ready in a jiffy!
- so flavourful!
- tangy, spicy, citrusy & garlicky!
- filled with greens!
- meal-prep friendly!
- so versatile: you can eat it so many different ways, so you’ll never get fed up of it!
- 1 package of extra-lean chicken breast
- Coconut or avocado oil cooking spray
- The juice of one fresh lemon
- 2 heaping tbsp. raw organic Dijon mustard
- 1 heaping tbsp. organic yellow mustard
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 – 1.5 heaping tsp. Sriracha
- A heaping handful of fresh cilantro
- Black pepper & sea salt for seasoning
- Add all the marinade ingredients to a medium mixing bowl & stir until fully combined & incorporated.
- Clean & slice your chicken breast to desired size.
- Add your chicken to a large bowl & pour the marinade over it. Toss gently with a wooden spatula or spoon to coat the chicken in the marinade.
- Place the bowl with the chicken in the fridge for about 30 minutes to an hour to allow the flavours to come together (If you don’t have the time, WORRY NOT! THIS STEP ISN’T CRUCIAL TO A SUCCESSFUL RECIPE!).
- Remove the bowl of chicken from the fridge & heat your indoor grill / heat a skillet over medium-high heat & spray with coconut or avocado oil cooking spray. Once your grill or skillet is heated, place the chicken strips on it & cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until chicken is cooked through, no longer pink & still tender!
- If you’re using a grill, you most probably won’t even have to flip your chicken since you’ll have a griller on each side!
- ENJOY! 🙂
- Store leftovers in an airtight container & refrigerate!