HAPPY SATURDAY! <3
Okay, so serious question here, like there’s something I gotta set straight: Am I the only one who gets weird cravings for PUMPKIN ‘TINGS? Please say no… & even if your answer is yes, comfort me by saying you get ’em too! Oh well, if you don’t already, once you taste these, them cravings will come on more often than not.
WANNA KNOW WHY?
Because these bake-free (but also bake-friendly) gluten-free & vegan pumpkin spice oatmeal bites are SIMPLY BEYOND. They’re chewy, but still crumbly, so flavourful, sweet but somewhat savoury, full of REAL FOOD & so easy to make, it hurts. It doesn’t have to be Halloween season to enjoy some good ‘ol pumpkin spice… AMIRIGHT?
Do you like oatmeal? Do you also like pumpkin? GREAT!
And even if you don’t, try these. They’ll change your life. Okay, maybe not your life, but they’ll definitely make you LOVEEEE all things oatmeal & pumpkin!
- They’re made with only the cleanest, healthiest & REALEST ingredients.
- They’re packed with fibre, plant protein, antioxidants & they’re BURSTING with flavour!
- What’s awesome is that you can spice or change them up to your liking! You can throw in pumpkin seeds, raisins, shredded coconut, walnuts, pecans or vegan chocolate chips, cacao nibs & add in some hemp, chia or flax seeds for added fibre or healthy fats! You can even protein-ify (I know, that’s not a word, but I am making it one, okay?) them by throwing in a scoop of your fave collagen or protein powder!
- They’re vegan, gluten-free, soy, dairy & refined sugar free & they’re guaranteed to make all your pumpkin spice dreams come true! You also have pumpkin spice dreams, right? Kay great! Same!
BTW, if you really really really aren’t down with the pumpkin purée, you can swap it for some sweet potato or if you prefer an energy ball that’s richer in healthy fats & protein, you can swap it for some coconut, almond, peanut or cashew butter!
But trust me, you want pumpkin your life, not only because it’s just SO DELICIOUS & NATURALLY SWEET, but it also packs so many health benefits! It’s full of fiber & potassium, which makes it super heart healthy, great for digestion & helpful in maintaining healthy sodium levels in the body. It’s also packed with tons of vitamin C & antioxidants, which make it great for fighting off illness, disease, infection, free radicals, oxidative stress, boosting collagen production & healing the skin from within. They also contain tons of zinc, which is super important when it comes to skin cell regeneration & renewal. It’s also anti-inflammatory, lowers cholesterol, helps maintain healthy pH levels in the body & helps regulate blood sugar levels.
Now, without further ado, let’s discuss the ingredients in these babies!
- 3/4 cup of gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of gluten-free oat flour (You can make your own by blending your oats in a food processor until they turn to flour consistency)
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 cup organic coconut sugar OR date sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/3 heaping cup of organic canned pumpkin purée (NOT PIE FILLING – IT’S FULL OF SUGAR!). As I mentioned earlier, you can sub the pumpkin for sweet potato or for a nut butter/seed butter of your choice
- 2 tbsp. organic unsweetened almond milk (or any other milk of choice)
- 1 tsp. pure organic vanilla extract
- OPTIONAL: 1 tbsp. of coconut oil for added healthy fats & anti-inflammatory benefits
- OPTIONAL ADD-INS: 1 scoop of your fave collagen or protein powder, dried raisins, vegan chocolate chips, shredded coconut, walnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, cacao nibs, chia, flax, hemp or sesame seeds
- IF YOU’RE BAKING THEM: Preheat your oven to 350F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all your dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Add your wet ingredients to a separate smaller mixing bowl & stir very well until combined & incorporated.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones & mix until all the oats/flour are combined with the rest of the ingredients. Mixture should no longer contain any clumps of oats or flour & should be uniform.
- Roll the babes into balls or cookies (if you’re going to bake them).
- IF YOU’RE GOING NO-BAKE: Place the babes on a plate & refrigerate to allow them to firm up.
- Once firm, store them in an airtight container & refrigerate or freeze, based on personal preference. Freezing them will make them more firm (but they’ll still remain chewy on the inside) & they’ll last longer, while refrigerating them will give them a softer texture!
- IF YOU’RE GOING BAKE: Place the babes on the parchment-lined baking sheet & bake for about 10-12 minutes. Check on them at the 10-minute mark & then, YOU BE THE JUDGE! You want them to look golden brown on the outside, but not so baked that the oats burn! I personally prefer to take my cookies out of the oven when they look slightly under-baked because they will usually firm up a bit when they cool off. PLUS WHO DOESN’T LIKE AN UNDER-BAKED COOKIE?
- Once baked, remove from the oven & let cool.
- Once cooled, ENJOY! (OR BURN YOUR TONGUE & ENJOY ‘DEM FRESH OUT ‘DA OVEN!)
- Store leftovers in an airtight container!