GLUTEN-FREE & VEGAN CRISPY SMOKY EGGPLANT & ZUCCHINI CHIPS… OHMYGOD!
I don’t even know where to start with these babies… they are INSANE!!!
Baking the perfectly crispy chip has always been a challenge for me! I never nailed it; the temperature was always too high or too low & I couldn’t figure out the perfect roasting time & technique. BUT TODAY… I DID! It’s all about that thin slice, slow-roast & quick broil to seal the deal!
I can’t just eat one or two chips. Like I can’t be balanced & moderate with chips, ok? It’s reality. That’s why healthier chip alternatives speak to me! I don’t count calories but I’ll take these babies as a night-time snack over a bag of processed BBQ or ketchup chips. Trust me, you will too once you see how DELISH they are! I would say they’re the NEW & IMPROVED Lay’s Ketchup Chips, Doritos & Humpty Dumpty BBQ Chips!
PLUS, you get all the benefits of eggplant, zucchini & nutritional yeast: plant protein, fibre, B12, digestive health, vitamin C, K & potassium, other B vitamins, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, bone health, boosted cognitive function & heart health.
So these are the type of chips that you can eat without worrying about all the sodium, unhealthy fats, partially hydrogenated oils, fake ingredients, preservatives & food colourings... ’cause guess what? THESE DON’T CONTAIN ANY OF THAT CR*P! But, they’re still SO DELICIOUS, so you won’t feel like you’re missing out. Plus, let’s be honest, how much are you really missing out if the food you’re eating is filled with all of that fake food?!
Anywho, I had these yesterday for lunch with a gluten-free rice cake topped with some vegan cashew tomato & basil cheese & a big bowl of my Vegan & Gluten-Free Clean-Eating Creamy Comforting Broccoli Blender Soup a.k.a. Your Winter Soup Dreams Made Easy! TALK ABOUT A SAVOURY LUNCH, but it was so delicious!!!!
BTW, you’ll see in the ingredients list that these babies contain dried thyme, basil & rosemary. You can totally swap these dried greens for your faves if you’re not a fan. Chives, oregano & dill would work great too! You can also throw on some red pepper chilli flakes to add some spice!
Now, without further ado, let’s talk about how to make these:
- 1 large eggplant, thinly sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- Coconut or avocado oil cooking spray
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- Black pepper & sea salt
- Pinch of cayenne
- Preheat oven to 250F & line 3-4 baking sheets with parchment.
- Slice veggies using a sharp knife or mandolin. Slices should be as thin as possible!
- Prepare the spice mix in a bowl.
- Add the veggies to a large bowl, pour the spice mix over them & toss GENTLY to coat the veggies.
- Place the slices on the baking sheets & spray with coconut or avocado oil to ensure crispness.
- Bake at 250F for 90 minutes. Check on them every 10 minutes after the 60 minute mark & broil on high for 5-7 minutes (but watch closely!). Baking times vary depending on how thin you sliced them so keep a close eye on these munchkins!
- ENJOY! 🙂