Ok next up, something sweet!!!! (But with no refined sugars & not so sweet that you just want one… A.K.A. YOU’LL WANT TWO, OR THREE..). NOW, LET’S TALK: GLUTEN-FREE & VEGAN-FRIENDLY HAZELNUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES!
These babies are crumbly on the outside & chewy & moist on the inside! I honestly hate the word moist, but I’m finding that I’m using it a lot lately to describe the insides of my cookies & muffins… I mean, is there really a better word for it?! Let’s be honest here…
They’re low in sugar, contain no refined sugar, eggs or flour & they’re also low carb & full of plant protein, healthy fats & fibre! HOW’S THAT FOR A DREAM COOKIE? I made these with my dad in mind & taking into account his diabetes & his increased risk for heart disease, I wanted to make these as edible as possible for him (& I don’t mean edible in terms of taste, because it’s clear that we’ve got that down-packed, but I mean more in terms of his health!). So, if you’re trying to cut back on refined sugars, sugar in general & looking for a low-carb cookie that’s high in fibre & healthy fats, you’ve found your match!
I chose not to melt the nut butter because I wanted to have some leftover chunks in these babies… I mean, what’s better than a chunk of warm nut butter, the perfect texture of oat flour & delicious melted chocolate? Safe to say, EVERYONE in your house will LOVE & OD OVER them… so take it from me & double your batch!
- All you gotta do to make these babes vegan friendly is swap the dark chocolate for some vegan chips/chocolate!
- And if you want to make a nut-free version, just swap the hazelnut butter for your fave seed butter, such as sunflower seed butter or hemp seed butter!
Yes, you read right. It doesn’t matter what your dietary restriction is, YOU CAN HAVE THESE!!! I don’t like discriminating, okay? Plus, as you guys know, I’m a firm believer in the fact that there is ALWAYS & I MEAN, ALWAYS, a healthier & cleaner way to make ANYTHING, so long as you use a bit of imagination & are open to trying new things!
In the spirit of trying new things, I bet you want to try these. So let’s go!
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. pure organic vanilla
- 3 tbsp. date sugar (or coconut sugar – add 1-2 more tbsp. for a sweeter cookie)
- 2 tbsp. raw organic hazelnut butter (or any other nut/seed butter)
- 1 cup organic unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 a 70% dark chocolate salted toffee & banana chocolate bar (crumbled) – (I used the brand ZazuBean) OR vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F & line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Add all ingredients (except chocolate) to a large mixing bowl & mix with a wooden spoon until fully combined. Trust me, you want some leftover hazelnut butter chunks in there.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chunks or chips!
- Refrigerate batter for 1 hour (You can skip this step if you need to, but the cookies bake better if batter is chilled as the batter will be relatively sticky).
- Shape the dough into 12 cookies & flatten them to your desired size (They won’t spread much when baked).
- Bake for 9-10 minutes, until golden brown & crispy on the outside. Don’t worry if they look a bit under-baked when you take ‘em out! They’ll harden once cooled.
- Let cool & ENJOY! 🙂