Freekeh Sun-Dried Tomato & Black Bean Fiber-Full Salad In A Lemon Dijon Balsamic Dressing a.k.a. Your Fibre & Plant-Protein Rainbow In A Bowl With a Vitamin C Kick!
FREEKEH SUN-DRIED TOMATO & BLACK BEAN FIBRE-FULL SALAD IN A LEMON DIJON BALSAMIC DRESSING, ya dig?
GUYS, one thing’s for certain: this salad will make ANYONE around you while you eat it so JEALOUS. They’ll want to come home with you to devour the leftovers (if there are any!).
The fluffiness of the grains, crunchiness of the veggies, sweet tartness of the sun-dried tomatoes & nuttiness of the black beans is JUST BEYOND WORDS DELICIOUS.
This week, it was my fist time using freekeh. TBH, it all started when I compared it to my bag of organic black rice (planning to make a rice salad) & realized how much more nutritious it was). Healthy wheat options are hard to find, but if the wheat is of the right type, it can provide you with a good source of health benefits! Unlike quinoa, freekeh is not gluten-free, but it compares well in terms of fibre, protein & fat content! From a taste perspective, freekeh is nutty & smoky & has a really nice texture & flavour!
If you do happen to want to make this salad, but need a gluten-free option, you can swap the freekeh for quinoa!
Freekeh has almost 2x the fibre & more protein than quinoa. It ranks low on the GI (which makes it great for those who suffer from diabetes), high in iron, calcium, copper, magnesium & zinc, contains prebiotics, which promotes healthy digestive health & antioxidants. It also contains glutamic acid, an amino acid that synthesizes glutamine & helps build endurance & muscle strength.
Just to give you an idea, a 100g serving will provide you with:
- 15g of protein
- 13g of fibre
- 31 mg of zinc (207% of the daily value)
- 32 mg of iron (178% of daily value)
- 3.5 mg of copper (170% of daily value)
- 370 mg of calcium (37% of daily value)
- 110 mgs of magnesium (28% of daily value)
If you haven’t figured it out already, THIS SALAD IS A FIBRE & PLANT PROTEIN DREAM COME TRUE! Black beans, psyllium husk & freekeh make for your digestive dreams come true in salad form!
Not to mention, it’s probably one of the easiest & quickest semi-cooked salads to put together! And it’s also super mobile & great for meal prep because you can take it with you in a tupperware & you’ve got yourself a healthy lunch that will keep you away from the food courts!
Now, how do you make it?
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 cup organic cooked freekeh (cooked according to package directions)
- 1/3 cup of organic sun-dried tomatoes (chopped) (My fave brand is Fruit Bliss)
- 1 small cucumber (diced)
- 1 small yellow bell pepper (diced)
- 3 green onions (diced)
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1 tbsp. raw organic Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup of organic balsamic vinegar
- The juice of one lemon
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- A splash of coconut flower syrup (or pure organic maple syrup/honey, if not vegan!)
- 2 tbsp. psyllium husks
- 1 tsp. black sesame seeds
- Black pepper & sea salt to taste
- Cook your freekeh & set it aside to let cool.
- Once cooled, add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl.
- Prepare the dressing in a small bowl: Add all ingredients to the bowl & whisk until fully combined & incorporated.
- Season the salad, toss to coat the grains & veggies in it.
- ENJOY!! 🙂