Y’all know I like a challenge, right?
WELL NOW YOU KNOW.
One of you asked if I could try out a recipe for healthy cinnamon rolls & I was like WOAH, SICK IDEA. Seriously, I freaking LOVE a good cinnamon roll, but, TBH I haven’t had them in YEARS! So obviously: Challenge accepted & YES, CHALLENGE ACCOMPLISHED!
I made some pretty simple, ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS, yeast-free FLUFFY VEGAN cinnamon rolls with sprouted whole-grain spelt flour.
They’re low in sugar & healthier than the ones you’d get from your nearby bakery or take-out counter! There’s actually ZERO added sugar or sweetener in the dough itself & I used date sugar for the cinnamon filling (But you can use coconut sugar, as well!).
The way the dough puffs up is heavenly. It’s light & airy, just the right amount of doughy on the inside & crispy & cinnamon-y on the outside.
Oh & not only are they vegan & yeast-free, but they are also possibly gluten-free (I’ll tell you how to swap your flour below), soy-free, dairy-free & refined sugar-free!
Just for fun, let’s look at the ingredients on the Pillsbury Original Cinnamon Rolls:
Enriched Flour Bleached (wheat flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), Water, Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Dextrose, Wheat Starch, Baking Powder (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda), Palm and Soybean Oil, Whey, Salt, Cinnamon, Corn Starch, Corn Syrup Solids, Monoglycerides, Xanthan Gum, Potassium Sorbate (preservative), Polysorbate 60, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Yellow 5, Red 40.
If you’ve read my post all about how to dissect a food label, you’ll be a little UNIMPRESSED with these ingredients, to say the least! If you haven’t read it, check it out here: KITK’s How To Dissect A Food Label & Top Ingredients To Run Away From In Processed & Packaged Foods a.k.a. Get That Stuff Back On The Shelf, Baby!!
Now, why don’t you let me wow you with THIS ingredients list? It’s so clean that I don’t know if you’re ready! BRACE YOURSELVES!!!!
BUT FIRST, let me give you a little rundown about how you should eat these babies. Warm them up. Top them with melted coconut, almond or peanut butter, a little drizzle more of Ceylon cinnamon or raw organic cacao powder & have them with a glass of homemade plant-based milk… AND YOU WILL TAKE YOURSELF TO CINNA-BUN HEAVEN!
FOR THE ROLL:
- 1 cup sprouted whole-grain spelt flour
- FOR A GLUTEN-FREE OPTION: 1/2 cup of gluten-free oat flour & 1/2 cup of all-purpose gluten-free flour (The oat flour adds density, while the gluten-free flour will help with the fluffiness!). If you happen to try this blend or any other blend, please leave a comment down below to let me know how they turn out!
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. Himalayan pink sea salt
- 1/4 cup organic unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp. pure organic vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp. organic unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or any other milk of your choice)
- 1/2 tsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar
- Coconut oil cooking spray
FOR THE SUGAR & CINNAMON FILLING:
- 2 tbsp. date/coconut sugar
- 2 tsp. Ceylon cinnamon
- OPTIONAL: 1-2 tsp. vegan butter/ghee/coconut oil (softened)
- Melted coconut/almond/peanut butter for garnish
- Cacao powder
- Ceylon cinnamon
- Coconut whipped cream
- Preheat your oven to 350F & set aside a baking sheet.
- Add the flour, baking powder & sea salt to mixing bowl & mix to combine.
- Fold in the applesauce with a wooden spoon or spatula, so that the mixture looks a bit crumbly.
- Stir in milk, vanilla & apple cider vinegar. Start with 2 tbsp. of milk & add more if needed. Once mixed, your ingredients should be moist, but they should NOT be sticky. If it gets sticky, add a little bit of flour, but don’t add too much at a time!
- Knead the dough until it’s smooth.
- Once smooth, roll the dough into a ball & cover it with a bowl for about 5-10 minutes.
- Prepare the coconut sugar/date sugar & cinnamon mixture by combining them in a small bowl & mix!
- Once the dough has rested, divide into it into 4 equal parts. Roll each piece into an oval. It should be about 1/8-1/4 inch thick.
- You can use a rolling pin or a makeshift one (like I did) if you don’t have one on hand – I used a spice shaker!
- If you are using vegan butter, ghee or coconut oil, spread each piece with it.
- Sprinkle some of the cinnamon sugar mix on each piece (but save some for the tops).
- Roll the dough, gently press the ends down so they don’t fold over & open & then, cut each roll in half.
- Line a rectangular baking dish with parchment, spray it with some coconut oil cooking spray & place the rolls on it face up.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes & ENJOY!
- Top them with melted coconut/almond/peanut butter, cacao powder, cinnamon & other toppings of your choice before serving & enjoy!