As you know if you’ve been following me for quite some time now, it’s been almost a year since I started drinking lemon water with Himalayan pink salt or Celtic sea salt, every morning. It’s the first thing that goes into my body & I wouldn’t have it any other way. In fact, I’m basically an alarm clock at this point.
I wake up anywhere between 5:30 & 6:30AM & my morning routine looks a bit like this: Head downstairs to my kitchen & robotically pull the lemon out of my fridge, prep my lemon water, take a selfie of me drinking it (DUH!), go upstairs, do my skincare routine & other morning rituals (brush my teeth, face mask/eye patches, shower, etc.) & then I come back downstairs & RANT MY LIFE AWAY TO YOU GUYS, do morning segments, have breakfast & coffee, finish up blog posts, meal prep, head out to the gym & go on with my day!
The lemon water has really made three big changes in my life (amongst all the other benefits I get from it): Digestion on fleek, skin is clearer & more radiant than ever, immune system is thriving (I DON’T WANT TO JINX IT, but I haven’t gotten sick in forever) & my energy levels in the morning are amazing! If you want to read more about the health benefits of having lemon water in the morning, you can check out my full run down on it here, along with all the benefits of sea salt, what you need & how you should prepare your lemon water: Lemon Water a.k.a. The-Only-&-Healthy-&-Best-&-Yummy-Way-To-Start-Oops-I-Mean-Detox-Your-Day-Right!
This week, I decided to amp up my lemon water game! Basically, the lemon, lukewarm water & sea salt stay the same, but I added two star ingredients to the mix & I have to say I’m already starting to see a difference in the way I feel. As I mentioned before, thankfully, my digestion was already on fleek (& that’s saying a lot, coming from where I come from with my eating disorder & recovery), but I feel less puffy & less bloated than EVER! My body just feels overall lighter, clean & hydrated, my skin is looking great (I don’t want to jinx it, but I also want to give you guys all the deets), I have great energy in the morning & I’m just feeling amazing overall!
TIPS: This week, I also started to drink my morning tonic with a stainless steel straw! This is an important switch for a few reasons:
- It’s better for the environment than plastic & contains no BPA (a harmful chemical found in plastics that mimics the activity of hormones, most commonly estrogen, which can lead to reproductive disorders & diabetes or heart disease).
- It’s better for the enamel on your teeth! It prevents the citric acid from coming into contact with your teeth & wearing down your enamel!
- It’s easy to clean, reusable, dishwasher safe!
Now, let’s breakdown what’s in my morning tonic & why!?
- A powerful blood builder that regenerates the body at the molecular & cellular level.
- Helps cleanse, detoxify the liver & flush out heavy metals.
- Fights infection & promotes the health of the circulatory, digestive, immune & detoxifying systems.
- Promotes the growth of healthy intestinal flora, alkalizes & helps the body maintain adequate pH levels.
- Contains antioxidants, making it anti-carcinogenic (it binds to harmful pro-carcinogen toxins that turn into carcinogens when metabolized & inhibits them from being absorbed into the intestines).
- Soothes nervousness.
- Contains magnesium, reduces water retention & improves circulation.
- Fights certain types of cancer.
- Speeds wound healing.
- Helps with healthy weight maintenance
- Promotes healthy skin.
- ALOE VERA JUICE:
- Boosts immunity.
- Anti-inflammatory, antibacterial & antiviral.
- Promotes healthy cell renewal in both the body & skin, while hydrating.
- Provides a boost of energy.
- Fights certain diseases & cancers.
- Relieves symptoms of acid reflex.
- Contains anti-aging properties.
- Helps with digestion.
- Fights candida (yeast overgrowth, related to unhealthy gut).
- Reduces inflammation.
- Alleviates heartburn.
- Naturally lowers cholesterol & improves blood sugar levels, which make it heart healthy & important for people who suffer from diabetics.
- Helps with healthy weight maintenance.
- LUKEWARM WATER: Ice cold water is shocking on the body first thing in the morning & takes more energy to process. Boiling water may kill some of the enzymes & reduce the beneficial nutrients in the lemon & disrupts the digestive benefits as the body has to use more energy to absorb the nutrients compared to lukewarm water.
- HIMALAYAN OR CELTIC SEA SALT:
- Stimulates digestive enzymes & helps break down/digest/absorb nutrients from food.
- Pulls toxins from cells to be eliminated from the body.
- Hydrates the body.
- Promotes healthy adrenal support.
- Contains calcium, sodium, potassium & magnesium, which work synergistically to help muscle contraction & relaxation.
- Prevents electrolyte imbalance & dehydration.
- Helps balance healthy pH levels.
- Reduces cortisol & adrenaline (stress hormones).
- Improves sleep,
- Contains chromium, sulphur, zinc & iodine which promote healthy skin, fight acne, heal, regulate oil production & increase oxygen consumption in the skin.
- Detoxifying, soothing & alkalizing.
- Revs up metabolism.
- Stimulates healthy digestion.
- Boosts immunity, mood, energy & mental clarity.
- Contains antioxidants, vitamin C & potassium.
- Controls high blood pressure.
- Promotes healthy cholesterol.
- Increases iron absorption.
- Reduces stress.
- Hydrates the body.
- Detoxifies blood.
- Helps maintain skin’s radiance.
- Promotes collagen production.
Now that I’ve convinced you why you should add this to your diet, let’s discuss what you need & how to make it!
- About 8-12oz. of lukewarm water
- The juice of one lemon
- 1 tbsp. Aloe Vera juice
- Make sure it doesn’t contain citric acid & sodium benzoate. Wanna know why? Check out my blog post on KITK’s How To Dissect A Food Label & Top Ingredients To Run Away From In Processed & Packaged Foods a.k.a. Get That Stuff Back On The Shelf, Baby!!
- 3/4 – 1 tsp. Liquid chlorophyll
- Himalayan pink salt or Celtic sea salt
- OPTIONAL: You can add 1-2 tbsp. Raw organic apple cider vinegar to the mix, if you want some added health benefits for your skin, digestive health, immunity, stabilizing blood sugar levels, antioxidants, healing properties & alkalizing effects. I started drinking 2 tbsp. of ACV every night before bed, so that’s why I haven’t been adding it in the morning! Otherwise, I would!
- Boil your water to a lukewarm temperature (if your kettle has a regulator for temperature). If not, boil your water & allow it to cool slightly so that it reaches room temperature (or, if you don’t have time to let it cool, add 1/2 portion of boiling water & 1/2 portion of cool water to a glass).
- Juice your lemon, add your aloe vera juice & then drop in the chlorophyll (Don’t try adding all the ingredients to the glass before adding the water – I did that the first time & the chlorophyll did not dissolve properly!).