Homemade Vanilla Maple Flax Milk a.k.a. Oh-My-Flax!
As you guys know, I’ve been on the homemade plant-based milk bandwagon for a while now. I more recently started making hemp milk & I love it. The recipe for my homemade hemp milk is beyond delicious & also super simple. Here it is, if you guys are into it: Homemade Hemp Milk a.k.a. The Easier Plant-Based Vegan Milk Alternative For When You Just Don’t Have The Time!
This weekend, meal prep got the best of me & I totally forgot to soak my nuts for almond milk, so instead, I got creative & made VANILLA MAPLE FLAX MILK! And yet again, I nailed it (Okay, I don’t mean to brag, but I really FREAKING LOVE this flax milk!).
It’s dairy-free, super simple to prepare, creamy, silky & delicious, great on its own, in lattes, overnight oats or smoothies & super nutritious. All you need are 3 ingredients, filtered water, any optional add-ins of your choice, a blender, bowl & nut milk bag or dish cloth & you’re good to go!
Flax seeds contain essential fatty acids that are anti-inflammatory & heart healthy. They are anti-bacterial, contain antioxidants, B vitamins, magnesium, potassium, iron & fibre. They rev metabolism, boost immunity, skin & bone health, lower cholesterol & blood pressure. And they are a great way to get in all these benefits in plant-based form because they don’t add bulk to recipes!
As you guys know if you follow along my recipes every now & then, I like to incorporate them into both sweet & savoury recipes because they add a heck of a dose of nutrition, without overwhelming the dishes or making them feel overly packed!
This milk is so silky, smooth & creamy that you’d think it was REAL DAIRY MILK, no joke. That’s how freaking perfect this milk is. The flax seeds give it a delicious nutty & earthy flavour & the maple syrup & vanilla add the perfect touch of sweetness to counter the nuttiness, making this milk the perfect combination of flavours!
Now, without further ado, let’s get into how to make it!
- 1/2 cup of organic ground flaxseed
- 5-6 cups of filtered water (depending how creamy you want it)
- 1-2 tbsp. pure organic maple syrup
- 2 tsp. pure organic vanilla extract
- OTHER OPTIONAL ADD-INS: Cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, pumpkin spice, sea salt, a fine protein powder, etc.
- Add the flax & water to your blender & blend on high for about 2 minutes, until the seeds are broken down. You want the pieces to still be visible so they can be filtered out a bit easier.
- Place a nut milk bag/dish cloth over a medium bowl & slowly pour the mixture into the bag/cloth & strain/squeeze out all the liquid. Be careful not to squeeze too hard, allowing the seed fibre to come through.
- Once all the liquid is extracted, rinse the blender & add the milk back to the jug with the maple syrup & vanilla (& other add-ins). Blend on high for another 1-2 minutes.
- Pour into a Mason jar or airtight jug, let sit for about 2-30 minutes to let the foam subside, then refrigerate. The milk will keep in the fridge for 3-5 days. Natural separation will happen because there are absolutely ZERO preservatives, fillers or gums in this baby, so shake it up before serving!