Next up are these WILD SALMON & KALE BURGER (made with sprouted breadcrumbs)!
They kind of remind me of my tuna fritters, which were a big hit in the Ohana residence! If you guys like tuna, you should check them out too: Gluten-Free Almond Meal Tuna Fritters a.k.a. One Of Those Meal Prep Staples You Can’t Get Enough Of!
But, right now, we’re talking about these salmon burgers – they’re so magically delicious & so convenient to have on hand because you can use them in so many different ways!
As you guys know, I’m a lover of spices, so you can imagine I spiced these babies to perfection! The flavour combination will throw a party in your mouth & make you go all kinds of crazy (but in a good way!). You don’t need a million different spices all the time to nail the flavour – sometimes, it just takes a perfect blend of just a few to take a recipe from 0 to 100 real quick! That’s what I did here – I kept it simple, but I made every ingredient count!
What’s so good about them?
- They’re delicious & full of flavour!
- Made with real & whole foods!
- Easy to digest thanks to the sprouted grains! I made my own homemade breadcrumbs out of my favourite Sesame Ezekiel toast! You can also swap these for a gluten-free breadcrumb option!
- Super quick & easy to prep!
- Meal prep friendly!
- No fishy taste!
- Full of vitamin K, calcium, protein, healthy fats & omega fatty acids, as well as tons of antioxidants & anti-inflammatory benefits!
- Super versatile! Eat them as is, put them into a gluten-free bun or pita wrap, use them as a topping for bowls, shred them up & make salmon tacos, use them in salads (chunk ’em up!) or have them on a bed of brown rice or quinoa!
- Crumbly & crispy on the outside & just the right amount of “fall in love at first bite” on the inside!
- Great alternative to a beef or chicken burger!
- 2 cans of organic wild canned salmon
- 1/2 cup of Ezekiel breadcrumbs made with 3 slices of bread (Instructions below for how to prep them!)
- Replace the Ezekiel toast for a gluten-free bread option, if you prefer!
- Make sure you have some extra breadcrumbs on hand in case you need to thicken up the burger batter.
- 2 egg whites (& 1 egg white if the batter is not holding together well)
- 1 tsp. raw organic Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup of chopped kale
- The juice of one fresh lemon
- 1.5 tsp. all-purpose seasoning
- 1.5 tsp. smoked paprika
- Black pepper & sea salt to taste
- Coconut or avocado oil cooking spray
- Prepare your breadcrumbs:
- Toast your bread to the point where it becomes slightly overdone (or just really toasted!).
- Once toasted, place the bread in the bowl of your food processor (or a chopper/grinder will work too).
- Pulse until breadcrumb consistency is obtained. I chose to keep mine a little thicker & crumblier than regular breadcrumbs, but you can grind them up to your desired consistency/texture.
- Drain & flake the salmon in a large bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients to the bowl & toss to combine until they are fully combined & incorporated. The batter should hold together when you pinch it between your fingers.
- If you find the batter is having trouble holding together, add the extra egg white or more bread crumbs!
- Shape the batter into 8 medium patties or 10 smaller patties.
- Place on the burgers on the parchment-lined baking sheet & spray them with coconut or avocado oil cooking spray.
- Bake the babes for 10 minutes, then flip & cook for another 10 minutes! Cooking time may slightly vary, but the goal is to get both sides golden brown!
- Broil on high for 2 minutes if you want to get ’em extra crispy, but keep a close eye on them so they don’t burn!
- ENJOY! 🙂