Ok, this creation makes me really freaking happy, because it’s so DANG delicious! Now, I’m not saying you’re going to give up tuna salad forever, especially if you’re making my recipe: Kelly’s Creamy-Yet-Crunchy Spicy Tuna Salad a.k.a. Lunch Goals, Snack Goals – Basically, Everything Goals! Plus, tuna is healthy in moderation & if chosen the right way (GROCERY TIP: What’s The Verdict on Canned Tuna?!).
But today, we’re talking about this CHICKPEA play on traditional tuna salad! Mashed chickpeas create a texture very similar to canned flaked tuna. The diced veggies add a nice amount of crunch, hydration, antioxidants, vitamins & fibre!
You can eat this salad as is, in lettuce wraps, in a pita wrap or gluten-free bread sandwich, on rice cakes, crackers, or as a topping for bowls! You can even mix it into a salad to add some creaminess.
I replaced the mayo in traditional tuna salad with raw organic Dijon mustard!
Chickpeas are great for so many different reasons:
- they help control blood sugar levels
- increase fullness & help with healthy weight maintenance
- they improve digestion thanks to a high fibre content & boost gut health
- they help protect against heart disease & certain types of cancer due to their antioxidant content
- they provide tons of essential vitamins & minerals, such as iron (provide a good source of energy), manganese (important for energy production & antioxidant defence) & helps boost metabolism
- they are an amazing source of plant-based protein
- they detoxify the body of sulphites
Now, not only is this salad packed with all the benefits of chickpeas, but it’s also:
- creamy & delicious!
- crispy & crunchy!
- vegan, dairy-free, sugar-free & gluten-free!
- so flavourful – it contains just the right balance of citrus, garlic c& nutty deliciousness!
- they’re a great way to change it up from animal-based protein, without feeling deprived!
- it’s easy, simple & quick to make – no food processor necessary!
- 1 can of organic no-salt added chickpeas
- 1 stalk of celery, diced finely
- 2 green onions, chopped finely
- 3/4 tsp. Smoked paprika
- 2 heaping tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. Garlic powder
- The juice of one lemon
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
Now, for that HOW-TO?
- Mash your chickpeas in a medium bowl using a fork. You don’t have to get them perfectly mashed – leave a few chickpea chunks in there!
- Once mashed, add all your other ingredients to the bowl with the chickpeas & mix until fully combined & incorporated. You can mash the chickpeas a little more at this point if you wish!