LAST (but most certainly not least) ON THIS WEEK’S MENU: VEGAN & GF BANANA FLAX MACA OATMEAL COOKIES!
Y’all know how I feel about adaptogens, right? They’re an integral part of my everyday routine & they have literally CHANGED my life & the way I cope with my stress & anxiety. Yes, I have anxiety. I’m open about it & I don’t hide it. Even when it was REALLY bad, I refused to take anxiety medication out of fear that I would learn to rely on it, that my body wouldn’t be able to learn to adapt & cope with stress & that I would experience withdrawal & even more severe anxiety when I’d finally get off them.
ALL HAIL ADAPTOGENS! I chose to try to deal with my anxiety NATURALLY. Skeptical at first, yes. But it really worked. Adaptogens are something I’ve recommended to SO MANY people who have reached out to me with similar issues to the ones I dealt with (or even different issues that led to similar symptoms of anxiety or stress). And they have worked wonders for them too!
Now that my anxiety is a lot less severe than it used to be & only strikes every now & then, I’ve also learned to have FUN with adaptogens. I love incorporating them into my meals & recipes, from all things smoothies to oats to baked goods to protein balls or energy bites!
So today, you can imagine that when the idea struck to make oatmeal cookies, the idea ALSO struck to infuse them with maca!!
Want to know a bit more about them?!
- They contain no dairy, no refined sugar, no added salt & NO BS.
- Bananas for fibre, potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron & B vitamins (& optimal digestion!)
- Flax for healthy fats, plant protein, heart health, magnesium, phosphorus & antioxidants!
- Maca for energy, hormone-balancing, stress & anxiety relief, antioxidants, vitamin C, copper & iron, boosting cognitive function & memory & enhancing sexual health & libido.
- Oats for antioxidants, soluble-fibre, optimal digestion, protein, healthy cholesterol levels, keeping you filled longer & glowing skin!
- I dosed these babies with a bit of pure vanilla for an added touch & BAM!
- They will definitely hit the spot when you have a sugar craving!
- They take hardly any time to make & require only 5 ingredients (& some add-ins, if you wish!)
Pretty dang awesome for a cookie, no?
What’s also amazing about these babies is that you can really customize them to your liking! The possibilities for add-ins really are endless! I’ll list a few suggestions down below in the ingredients list, but you should really let your imagination run wild with these! This recipe can literally become a go-to that you’ll never get sick of because you can change it up every time you make them!
INGREDIENTS (For 8 medium cookies or 10-12 smaller ones):
- 2 ripe bananas (the more ripe, the sweeter!)
- 1 cup of gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 huge tbsp. Raw maca
- 1/2 tbsp. Ground flaxseed
- 1 tsp. Pure vanilla extract
- OPTIONAL MIX INS: Cacao nibs, chocolate chips, raisins, nuts, coconut, flax chia, hemp or pumpkin seeds, dried fruit.
- Preheat your oven to 350F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mash your banana in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add your ingredients (except add-ins) to a bowl & combine using a wooden spoon or spatula, until a cookie dough consistency is obtained.
- Fold in any additional mix-ins of your choice.
- Place about 8-12 clumps of cookie dough evenly on the baking sheet. Flatten lightly. They won’t spread / change shape when baked.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- P.S. keep these babes refrigerated if you have leftovers – they’ll harden a bit but remain chewy on the inside & they’ll last longer since they contain bananas!