Vegan & Gluten-Free Anti-Inflammatory Low-Sugar Turmeric Roasted Veggies a.k.a. So Flavourful, It Hurts.
TURMERIC LEMON GINGER & YELLOW MUSTARD ROASTED VEGGIES, anyone?
Guys, I got my dad on the healthy eating bandwagon & it’s safe to say, we need A LOT OF VEGGIES in this house! I’m also trying to get him to cut down on his sugar, so most of the veggies I’ve been making these days are more on the savoury side & less on the sweet! But hey, there’s nothing wrong with that, trust me! Especially when they’re smothered in TURMERIC!!!!
So what’s so good about these veggies? I mean, they are just veggies, right?
Turmeric for anti-inflammatory benefits!
Lemon for antioxidants & vitamin C, bloating immunity & balancing pH!
Ginger for healing & antimicrobial properties!
Yellow mustard for immunity, clear complexion & heart health!
AND OF COURSE… VEGGIES! I mean, I don’t think I need to explain why veggies are SO GOOD FOR YOU.
They’re roasted to absolute perfection & they are so flavourful, it’s BEYOND!
I used broccoli, zucchini, carrots & Brussels sprouts but you can really use any veggies you want! I recommend using cruciferous ones (but it’s totally up to you!). You can check out my full post all about roasting & sautéing veggies to know how long to bake your veggies for (baking times vary & you want to make sure not to overcook them!). Here’s the post: My Go-To Guide For Roasting & Sautéing Veggies From Start To Plate To Devour a.k.a. Making Your Meals (& Life) Easier One Day At A Time!
BTW, PRO TIP: Whenever you use turmeric, ALWAYS add black pepper to the mix. The bioactive compound in black pepper called “piperine” increases the bioavailability of turmeric & its absorption by the body, while boosting the nutrient quality.
ALSO, whenever I roast veggies, I like to spritz them with a few sprays of coconut or avocado oil cooking spray (They have the highest smoke points, so this ensures that I won’t lose any of the beneficial properties of the oils when they’re heated) to get them extra browned, crispy & roasted!!
Now, let’s discuss how to make these babies!
- 2 full heads of broccoli (just the florets)
- 2 medium zucchini (sliced)
- 3 medium carrots (sliced)
- About 25-30 large Brussels sprouts (peeled & cleaned)
- The juice of one huge lemon
- 3 tbsp. Raw organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 heaping tsp. Annie’s Homegrown organic yellow mustard
- 1.5 tsp. Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. Ginger
- 1 tsp. Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. Minced onion
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- Coconut oil cooking spray
- Preheat your oven to 350F & line two baking sheets with parchment / aluminum. Set aside.
- Prepare the marinade in a medium bowl & whisk until all the ingredients are combined.
- Add your veggies to a big mixing bowl & pour the marinade over them. Toss to combine until all the veggies are fully coated.
- Place the veggies on the baking sheets (try not to pile them!), spray with coconut oil cooking spray to get them extra crispy on the outside & bake for 30 minutes at 350F.
- Once baked, broil on high for 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven & DEVOUR!
- Let any leftovers cool off before storing them in an airtight container & refrigerating. If you cover them while they’re still hot, they will get soggy in the fridge!