Today’s lunch was a slice of sprouted toast topped with salsa, homemade guacamole (with very few simple ingredients!), organic wild smoked salmon, sunflower microgreens, black pepper & nutritional yeast.
I know, it’s pretty damn simple, but I feel like so many of us have trouble finding quick & easy lunches that don’t take forever to prepare! Ya know? It’s so easy to say “forget it” & to eat out or get take-out, but when lunches like these come to life, they make take-out & restaurants look a little less appetizing. I mean, do you see how delicious this looks?
I don’t even know where to start regarding how absolutely mind-blowing this is from taste to health benefits. Taste-wise, I think you can figure it out for yourselves… AVOCADO, NEED I SAY MORE?
My fave little kick to add to guacamole is smoked paprika! Otherwise, my recipe is pretty simple & generic: fresh lemon juice, Himalayan pink salt, black pepper & garlic powder. But, the smokiness of the paprika adds that perfect little touch of spice & amps up the deliciousness like crazy! Plus, who doesn’t like spice mixed with citrus? It’s like a heavenly combination, right?
The microgreens add just the right amount of crunch & the smoked salmon adds a dose of flavour, protein & healthy omega fatty acids! I also sprinkled some nutritional yeast on top to add a bit of a cheesy flavour (but without the cheese!), some more protein & B12!
(BTW: Never, ever, ever, NEVER, buy farmed fish. Basically, farmed fish are thrown into cramped pens where they live together in very small spaces, which leads to the development & growth of disease & parasites, & in order to solve these issues, the fish are fed tons of antibiotics, growth hormones, GMO-CORN & other land-based foods that are not found in oceans/lakes/rivers, as well as tons of pesticides, that eventually… YOU (the consumer) are consuming & ingesting into your body (Sad truth, I think!) when you consume this same fish! On the contrary, the wild fish is left to breathe, swim & live in the ocean & is caught in the wild. It’s not fed any contaminants/pesticides or antibiotics!
From a health point of view, this meal is full of healthy fats, omega fatty acids, protein, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory perks, vitamins & minerals. It’s filling, fibre-rich & super easy on the digestive system (thanks to the sprouted grains!).
I don’t think I need to go into detail about how to put this babe of a dish together – pretty self-explanatory, no? I figured. But I’ll give you a little rundown of the ingredients, YA KNOW, just because I LOVE Y’ALL.
- 1/2 an avocado, mashed & seasoned with fresh lemon, garlic powder, smoked paprika, black pepper & sea salt
- 1 slice of sprouted toast (or use a gluten-free option, if you prefer!)
- 1 heaping tbsp. Organic salsa (I like Bandito’s Organics or Simply Natural brands)
- 1-2 slices of organic WILD smoked salmon
- Always make sure your smoked salmon & any fish for that matter, is wild!
- Once again, certain wild fish will be healthier than other wild fish & the same goes for farmed fish. You really have to do your research.
- Wild fish is also more ethical. Farmed fish are obviously not treated very well (They are cramped into pens until they die, basically & are fed a bunch of toxins & chemicals int he process).
- Organic sunflower microgreens (Alfalfa sprouts would be great too!
- Black pepper & nutritional yeast for garnish
- Prep your guac in a small bowl by mashing the avocado, adding the juice of 1/2 or a whole lemon, garlic powder, smoked paprika, Himalayan salt & black pepper & mixing until the lemon is fully absorbed & spices are combined.
- Toast your bread.
- Top with salsa, guac, smoked salmon, microgreens & season with nutritional yeast & black pepper.