Last night, I got home from my workout & I wasn’t as hungry as usual (no idea why!), but I didn’t want to skip dinner & then go to bed feeling starving (I HATE THAT FEELING!), so I made myself something light & fresh, but still super delicious & nutritious!
Thanks to my best friend meal prep, this meal actually only took me about 5 minutes to prepare! And even if you don’t meal prep, it won’t take THAT long, but it’s definitely a lot easier if you have the ground chicken ready in your fridge. Anywho, I put together this babe of a salad because I was in the mood for some crunchy veggies, but I also wanted to make sure that I got in a good amount of protein, especially since I had just worked out & done a lot of strength training & HITT.
This is a quick & easy lunch or dinner recipe that’s loaded with all the greens, antioxidants, tons of crunch, fibre & ground chicken for protein. I seasoned it with a very basic turmeric lemon & apple cider dressing for some vitamin C, every health benefit in the book (apple cider vinegar FTW) & turmeric for anti-inflammatory & anti-microbial perks during this horrible flu season!
- If you’re more of a carnivore, you can totally swap the chicken for some learn ground beef or pieces of steak!
- If you’re more of a turkey person than chicken, just swap the ground chicken for ground turkey or shredded turkey meat!
- If you’re vegetarian, swap the chicken for boiled egg, cheese, tuna, salmon, shrimp or whatever else gets your tastebuds going!
- If you’re vegan, swap the chicken for tofu, tempeh, lentils, legumes, chickpeas, kidney beans, vegan cheese or starchier veggies, such as potato, sweet potato or butternut squash!
Basically, whatever you are, there’s a way to make this salad YOU-FRIENDLY! All it takes is a bit of imagination!
Okay so, what’s in this baby?
FOR THE SALAD:
- A handful of cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1/2 small red onion (cubed)
- 1/2 a small bell pepper (cubed)
- 1 small cucumber (sliced)
- 1 small zucchini, made into zoodles
- A handful of chopped kale & green cabbage (chopped)
- My Lemon Dijon Ground Chicken With Mushrooms, Onions & Zucchini (RECIPE HERE).
FOR THE DRESSING:
- The juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
- 1 tbsp. Raw organic apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Organic white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp. Maple syrup wine vinegar
- Swap for rice vinegar or pure organic maple syrup, if you don’t have it!
- 1/4 tsp. Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. Cumin
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic powder
- Black pepper & sea salt for seasoning
- Add all the ingredients to a large mixing bowl.
- Season the salad directly in the same bowl & toss to combine & coat all the veggies in the dressing.
- Serve immediately & ENJOY!