Ok loves, next up on this week’s meal prep is this lemon dijon ground chicken with sautéed mushrooms, zucchini & onion! This week is all about the savoury vibes & this one is one to write home about, seriously!
I absolutely LOVE prepping ground chicken sautés because of how versatile they are! They work in so many different ways & EVERY SINGLE WAY WILL WOW YOU! They are great in tacos, lettuce wraps, bowls, salads, pita wraps, sandwiches or as is! If you’re someone who doesn’t usually like meal prepping because you often find that you get bored, this recipe will change your perspective because of how many different ways you can eat it!
It’s not only super versatile, but also simple, easy & quick to prepare! You just need one skillet, under 20 minutes of your time & some chopped veggies & seasonings! But we’ll get to that shortly!
One thing that I like to do when I make ground chicken is add veggies to the mix! Chicken is great & all, provides tons of protein & healthy fats & a lot of essential vitamins & minerals. BUT, what’s better than combining all of that with all the fibre, antioxidants & MORE vitamins, minerals & nutrients that you get from veggies?! NADA! Adding veggies is also SUPER EASY, so why not? And as I always tell you guys, it’s always BEST to cook your veggies in some way (steam/sauté/cook/roast etc.) because that makes it easier on the body to digest & enhances nutrient absorption!
BTW, you can also swap the ground chicken for extra-lean ground turkey or ground beef!
Wanna know how to make this?
I don’t really need to ask.
I know you do.
Look how damn delicious it looks!
OKAY, here we go!
- 1 package of extra-lean ground chicken (OR swap for extra-lean ground beef or turkey)
- Avocado or coconut oil cooking spray
- 2 small sweet white onions (or 1 medium), diced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic , minced
- 1 package of Cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into small cubes
- 1 heaping tbsp. of raw organic old-fashioned Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 heaping tsp. dried herbs of your choice (I like the Bragg’s Organic 24-herb & spice seasoning)
- The juice of one large lemon
- Black pepper & sea salt to taste
- Spray a large skillet with coconut or avocado oil cooking spray & heat over medium-high heat. Once heated, add the onion & garlic & sauté for about 3-5 minutes, until browned, fragrant & onion becomes translucent.
- Now, add your zucchini & mushrooms to the skillet & sauté for another 5-7 minutes, until veggies are cooked through, mushrooms are browned & begin to shrink.
- Once the veggies are ready, add in the ground chicken. Using a wooden spoon, break it apart.
- Lower your fire & remove the skillet from the heat. Season with the Dijon mustards, dried herbs, lemon, black pepper & sea salt.
- Increase heat to medium-high & place the skillet back on the stove. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, toss to combine the ground chicken, spices, seasonings & veggies.
- Cook the mixture for anywhere between 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is no longer pink & is cooked through. Keep a close eye on the chicken, making sure not to overcook it because it will dry out!
- Once cooked, remove the skillet from the heat, let cool & store in an airtight container & refrigerate!