Okay loves, last on the meal prep menu this week (aside from the Banana MYLK that I’m about to share & that you guys are going to OD over!) is this KIDNEY BEAN, CHICKPEA, DILL & PUMPKIN SEED SALAD IN AN APPLE CIDER DRESSING!
As you guys can probably see from the recipe streak I went on yesterday & today, I made tons of protein-packed chicken & turkey dishes, but I also wanted to plant-based protein it up a bit! So that’s where this salad came in. I was going to make cauliflower falafel (or something of the sort), which I’ll probably end up doing next week (so stay tuned!), but I was afraid my dad would be like W.T.F. & not eat it. So bean salad, it was! I mean, who doesn’t like bean salad?
So what’s so good about it? It’s quite simple actually, but the health benefits in here are beyond!
- It’s filled with plant-based protein, iron, fibre & tons of antioxidants!
- Loaded with veggies for an added crunch, vitamin C, fibre & mode antioxidants!
- The base of the dressing is apple cider vinegar, one of the healthiest foods on earth that helps with detoxification, bloating, gut health, skin issues, fighting off certain diseases & warding off infection, building immunity & maintaining healthy weight.
- So easy & quick to prepare! To read more about the benefits of apple cider vinegar, click here: The Nitty-Gritty on None Other Than APPLE CIDER VINEGAR!
- Kidney beans are an excellent source of folate, fibre & copper, as well as manganese, phosphorus, protein, vitamin B1, vitamin K, iron, potassium & magnesium. They help stabilize blood sugar, are beneficial for the brain & nervous system, boost energy levels & boost immunity. They are anti-aging, heart-healthy, prevent bad cholesterol & promote healthy skin.
- Chickpeas help control blood sugar levels, increase fullness, improve digestion thanks to their fibre content, help protect against heart disease & cancer, provide antioxidants, vitamins & minerals, are a great source of plant-based protein & reduce cholesterol. They also boost immunity, are rich in calcium (necessary for mairitaing strong bones, teeth & joints) & provide a good dose of iron.
- Pumpkin seeds are full of magnesium, manganese, copper, protein & zinc. They are nutritional powerhouses that you can add to almost anything & that don’t bulk up your recipes! They also contain plant compounds known as phytosterols & free-radical scavenging antioxidants, which are essential for optimal overall health!
- Dill is great for lowering cholesterol, provides a source of energy & aids in digestion due to its beneficial fatty acid content, which also makes it anti-inflammatory. It’s also anti-microbial, full of antioxidants & detoxifying! It adds a great tangy flavour to recipes & contains tons of vitamin A & vitamin C, as well as some folate, iron & manganese.
- To read all about the benefits of chia seeds, check out this post: Gluten-Free Lean Ground Turkey Cilantro & Chia Meatballs a.k.a. The Perfect Little Bundles Of Omegas, Protein, Detoxifying Herbs & Joy!
How’s that for a power-salad?
I know. Insane. In the best way possible.
Now, let’s make this insanity yours!
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 can of organic chickpeas (no salt added)
- 1 can of organic kidney beans (no salt added)
- 2 tbsp. organic pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp. organic chia seeds
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, cubed
- 1/4 cup of fresh chopped dill
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1 heaping tbsp. of Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. organic white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar
- The juice of one fresh lemon
- 1/2 tsp. of cumin
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Black pepper & sea salt to taste
- FOR SERVING: More fresh lemon juice & black pepper
- Add all your salad ingredients to a medium mixing bowl (Make sure it’s large enough to mix the salad when the dressing is added!)
- Prepare the dressing in a separate bowl & whisk until all ingredients are fully combined & incorporated. You shouldn’t be able to see the mustard anymore once mixed!
- Pour your dressing over the salad ingredients & toss to combine until all the legumes, veggies & seeds are fully coated in the dressing.
- Store in an airtight container & refrigerate!
- Squeeze some more fresh lemon juice before serving & garnish with more black pepper for taste!