Gluten-Free Lean Ground Turkey Cilantro & Chia Meatballs a.k.a. The Perfect Little Bundles Of Omegas, Protein, Detoxifying Herbs & Joy!
These ones were also on the meal prep & are guaranteed going to become a classic at the Ohana rez. They are so so so so scrumptiously delicious, it’s not normal. I’m realizing more & more each day that the whole stereotype surrounding the fact that healthy eating is boring, gross, flavourless & outright blah is SO DAMN WRONG. I’m getting so creative with ingredients & combinations these days & I want you guys to get inspired & see how simple it can be to give healthy food the necessary little kick to bring it from 100 to 200 real quick! You catch my drift, right? For me, healthy food is already a 100.
The two mysterious ingredients in these babies is cilantro & chia seeds! Okay wait, maybe the cilantro isn’t so mysterious – IT’S WRITTEN ALL OVER THEM. THEY’RE GREEN FOR DAYS. But the chia seeds on the other hand, are packed in there & you’d never know it. They’re a great way to get in tons of health benefits, vitamins, minerals & nutrients without adding bulk to your recipes (in the same way that flax or hemp seeds would!).
Cilantro is actually one of the world’s most powerful detoxifying herbs. It helps cleanse the body & detoxify it of toxins, heavy metals & any other environmental debris that you might inhale by merely living & being out & about in today’s world!
There’s so much that we can’t control in terms of what goes into our body when it comes to environmental toxins, so why not take control of the things we can? Eating for benefits & to cleanse & rid our bodies of all the cr*p it’s exposed to on a daily basis! Ya feel me? In order to do that, you must know & understand why you are eating certain foods & what benefits they are bringing to your life. Trust me when I say that that makes it even easier to incorporate them into your diet!
Chia seeds are great for so many different reasons:
- They contain essential omega fatty acids, which are crucial for maintaining heart health, especially for those who have or are prone to diabetes. They are also essential for increasing levels of HDL (good) cholesterol & lowering levels of LDL (bad) cholesterol. They are majorly anti-inflammatory, which makes them a great food to incorporate into your diet to PREVENT any ailments, diseases or illnesses cause by inflammation (which is basically like ALL OF THEM) or to HELP TREAT certain diseases caused by inflammation. The fact that they are anti-inflammatory also makes them super gut-healing!
- They are also jam-packed with fibre, which makes them great for digestion, maintaining healthy blood sugar levels & reducing bad cholesterol.
- They’re a great source of iron, calcium & potassium!
- Iron is crucial for maintaining healthy energy levels & preventing fainting spells, heart palpitations, feelings of overall tiredness & lack of motivation to do anything.
- Calcium is essential for maintain strong bones, teeth & joints!
- Potassium is heart-healthy & essential for helping balance sodium levels in the body.
- They’re also loaded with protein & healthy fats, which makes them filling, sustaining & great for giving you a morning or afternoon energy boost!
Not bad, right?
These babies are great for bowls, chopped into salads, pita pockets, tacos, or as a topping for some lentil & chickpea pasta with warm marinara sauce! You really cannot go wrong with them. I MEAN, WHO DOESN’T LOVE A GOOD MEATBALL?
They’re super crispy & browned on the outside, but they’re just the right amount of cooked on the inside – the turkey is juicy, delicious & scrumptious! Listen to how I tell you to make these babies & you’ll cook them to perfection. OVER-BAKE THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK!
BTW, like any ground chicken or turkey recipe, you can swap the ground turkey for ground chicken or ground beef, to your liking!
OKAY, NOW THAT I’VE RANTED FOR LIKE AN HOUR… let’s get to the nitty-gritty.
- 1 package of extra-lean ground turkey meat
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 heaping tsp. of dried minced onion
- 1 heaping tbsp. of organic chia seeds
- 1 egg white
- Black pepper & sea salt to taste
HOW-TO? (For about 14-15 medium meatballs or 20 small ones):
- Preheat your oven to 400F & line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking sheet.
- Add all your ingredients to a large mixing bowl & mix until fully combined & incorporated. Your meatball batter (Is that a thing?) will be sticky, but you should be able to roll it into balls.
- If the batter is too sticky, add some more chia seeds to thicken it up a bit!
- Roll the babes into balls & place on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake the babes for 20 minutes, & check on them at halfway mark to make sure the tops aren’t burning!
- Broil on high for 3 minutes to get them nice & crispy & browned on the outside!