Okay, so believe it or not, my dad is not a fan of hummus. Ask me how or why & I couldn’t tell ya. I freaking love hummus. PLUS WE’RE MOROCCAN, so hummus is like basically running through our veins. BUT ANYWAY, HE DOESN’T LOVE IT. Good news is he does love crunchy veggies for snacking! And well, who doesn’t love a good ‘ol creamy & thick ranch dip, right?
The thing is, have you ever seen the ingredients list on a typical store-bought ranch dip? Next time you’re at the grocery store, turn the package over. You’ll be shocked, IN A BAD WAY. Here’s the ingredients list for the Heinz one:
“Soybean oil, water, vinegar, sugar, powdered buttermilk (milk), salt, frozen yolk (egg), flavour, potassium sorbate, xanthan gum, propylene glycol alginate, mustard flour, citric acid, spices and herbs, sodium benzoate, lactic acid, phospholipase, calcium disodium edta.
Shelf Life: 7 months“
TBH, half the cr*p in there isn’t even real food. It’s chemicals. To read more about how to dissect an ingredient label (& to read all about propylene glycol, refined salt, sodium benzoate, added sugars& tons of other horrible ingredients, check out my full post: KITK’s How To Dissect A Food Label & Top Ingredients To Run Away From In Processed & Packaged Foods a.k.a. Get That Stuff Back On The Shelf, Baby!!)
BTW, sodium benzoate is already bad, BUT THE BADNESS IS AMPLIFIED WHEN IT’S COMBINE WITH CITRIC ACID OR ASCORBIC ACID… and low & behold, that’s the case in this packaged ranch dip…
So as you can see, the only ingredients in this store-bought dip that are actually acceptable are water, vinegar, mustard, spices & herbs… A.K.A. THE MAJORITY OF THE INGREDIENTS ARE HORRIBLE FOR YOU.
- It’s gluten-free & sugar-free!
- Garlicky, zesty & citrusy!
- Spiced to perfection!
- Thick, rich, creamy & indulgent!
- Versatile AF: Use as a veggie dip, topping for bowls, spread on rice cakes or sprouted toast, dip in tortilla chips, eat it with omelettes or frittatas! The possibilities are endless!
- It’s protein-packed, low-carb, low-sugar, contains NO PRESERVATIVES, NO FILLERS, NO GUMS, NO RANCH POWER, NO MAYO, NO SOUR CREAM, NO BS. JUST REAL DAMN FOOD.
- 1 heaping cup of organic (grass-fed preferably) Greek yogurt;
- For vegan option: Sub for coconut yogurt or other plant-based yogurt, such as almond yogurt.
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic (minced)
- The juice of one large lemon
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- Black pepper & sea salt to taste
- 1 heaping tsp. of all-purpose seasoning (or dried herbs of your choice)
- 1 heaping tsp. of onion powder
- OPTIONAL: Add some Sriracha or red pepper chilli flakes to make a spicy dip!
- Add all ingredients to your blender & blend for about 30 seconds until smooth & creamy & until the garlic & spices are fully incorporated with the yogurt.
- Taste & adjust seasonings, if necessary!
- Store in an airtight container & refrigerate!