Food For Thought: Greek Yogurt & Why I Eat It!
I think that by now, you guys know that I LOVE Greek yogurt!
It’s my go-to pre-workout breakfast not only because it’s DELISH, thick & creamy, but also because of its benefits:
- Greek yogurt contains more protein than regular yogurt & as much as 3oz. of lean meat, which makes it a good source of sustained energy & keeps me full. As you guys know, protein is vital to cell growth, building muscle & repairing muscle tissue. And as we age, protein becomes even more vital to keeping the skin & hair healthy & to fighting off illness.
- The amino acid & protein content in Greek yogurt makes it great for pre & post-workout as it keeps you full, repairs damage done by exercise, and helps regenerate muscle tissue & repair.
- Greek yogurt also contains less lactose than regular yogurt, which makes it easier on the body to digest.
- Greek yogurt is loaded with probiotics, which makes it a great way to start the day with a gut-healing boost as it helps line the gut with healthy bacteria. Without a healthy balance of good bacteria from probiotic, too much bad bacteria can build up & cause damage to the immune system. Probiotics help promote healthy digestion & are especially helpful to people who suffer from conditions, such as: IBS, Chron’s, ulcerative colitis & other GI diseases.
- Some of the essential vitamins & minerals Greek yogurt contains are: calcium, potassium, zinc & vitamins B6 & B12, which help strengthen bones, boosts bone density, prevents osteoporosis, maintain healthy sodium levels, clear & repair the skin & boost energy.
- P.S. Low calcium has been linked to irregular cortisol output (which can cause the body to store fat), can lead to irritability, anxiety, depression, impaired memory & slow thinking aka you need to maintain adequate levels to be preventive.
- P.P.S. Vitamin B12 is crucial for energy & healthy cognitive function (& it’s a meat-free way to more of it to your diet!).
- P.P.P.S. Most American eat way too much sodium. Not only is Greek yogurt low in sodium but it’s also very high in potassium. For optimal health, you should have a proper balance between sodium & potassium in the body & Greek yogurt can help you achieve that.
- Due to its probiotic properties & gut-healing benefits, Greek yogurt also helps boost immunity.
- Greek yogurt also helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels & contains less sugar & carbs than regular yogurt.
- Greek yogurt is also full of iodine, which is crucial for proper thyroid function & the thyroid is essential for healthy metabolism. One of the main reasons why so many people experience rapid fluctuations in weight is being iodine-deficient.
There are so many ways to have & enjoy it!
- Have it with breaky, make a parfait or pancakes with it!
- Throw it in a Buddha bowl!
- Make a smoothie or tzatziki!
- Use it as a mayo swap in tuna salad or egg salad!
- Make frozen Greek yogurt bites for snacking!
There’s so many ways to use it & so many ways it can boost your health! GET ON IT.
BTW, the one I use is by Rolling Meadow Dairy. It’s grass-fed, which means it has an improved omega 6:3 ratio (Less omega-6 & more omega-3 means more health benefits from omega-3, the healthy fats!), made with 100% Canadian milk, free of antibiotics,
Grass feeding practices have also been shown to increase the content of CLA in milk by over 5x. Conjugated Linoleic Acid is a naturally occurring fat in dairy & some meat products. It helps reduce obesity, heart disease, osteoporosis, diabetes, insulin resistance, inflammation & some types of cancer.