I’m so tired of hearing people talk about how their New Years goals are focused on changing their bodies, going on a diet, losing weight or any other form of “bettering” themselves based on how their body looks.
Safe to say, I’ve been there & done that. In fact, in case you’re wondering, that’s exactly how my downward spiral into anorexia started. My goal when I got back from a summer trip in Israel was to lose weight for my wedding… low & behold the FAMOUS STUPID WEDDING DIET.
Harmless at first, right? I started doing it in a “healthy” way (or so I thought), but REMEMBER: Any “healthy” habit can turn unhealthy in the blink of an eye.
Before I knew it, it got the best of me. Harmless turned into harmful. I slowly disappeared into thin air & I didn’t even realize, until it was too late.
There was no looking back, no reversing, no fixing, no shifting the state of mind my demons had thrown me in & no way to get rid of the monster in my head.
That’s why I believe that DIETS DON’T WORK. What’s the use in shedding weight if the same diet is also screwing with your mind, emotions & health? NONE.
One thing that diet culture conveniently fails to address is how restrictive behaviours affect mental health & when mental health is affected, so is every other aspect of our lives.
Just because this is a new year, it doesn’t mean that you’re a problem to be fixed or that you’re not enough.
If one of your goals this year is to diet or to change your body, STOP. LESS OF YOUR BODY WON’T CREATE MORE HAPPINESS. You’re a whole person. Food is just ONE aspect of health. You don’t need to shrink or “fix” yourself. It won’t make you a better person, change the kindness of your heart or make you feel more loved.
THIS YEAR, I encourage you to discover your physical health but also (& more importantly), your mental health.
- Fix your relationship with food permanently (Read more about that here: How I Healed My Relationship With Food & In Turn, Learned To Love My Body.).
- Change your lifestyle.
- Let go of quick fixes.
- Listen to your body when it speaks to you (Read more about that here: Listen To Your Body: Why It’s Important To Push When You Can, Chill When You Have To & Go Light When You Need To).
- Love & accept yourself.
- Stop judgment & self-hate.
- Engage in self-care.
- Face your realities & let yourself feel (Read more about that here: VulnerABILITY. Turn The Key & Let It Shine. + KITK’s Guide To Living A Healthier, Happier & Better 2018 Than Ever!).
- Cope with anger & anxiety as opposed to internalizing.
- Overcome food fears (Read more about that here: How To Get Over Your Fear Foods & Turn Them Into JUST FOOD!)
- Get moving without a compensation mentality (Read more about that here: How I Healed My Relationship With Food & In Turn, Learned To Love My Body.)
- Take a holistic approach to health.
These are just some ways you will truly feel HEALED this year.