Gluten-Free Crustless Greens, Mushrooms, Garlic & Egg White Quiche a.k.a. No Crust? No Problem – The Fluffiest Quiche You Ever Had!
I don’t know what it is but I was craving something egg-y today. I usually go for egg white scrambles, omelettes or frittatas! But today, I wanted to make a quiche. I WAS FEELIN’ IT & y’all know how I feel about cravings & feels – I give int to them because they’re a sign my body is talking to me! (AND YES, btw, I’m at a point in my life where I crave healthy food. Can’t help it!).
To read more about my take on cravings, check out this blog post: When A Craving Hits, Listen To Your Body. It’s The Only Way It Can Communicate With You!
Most quiches are made with frozen pie crusts (or a homemade one if you’ve got the time & patience), but since I wanted to make it gluten-free, simple & relatively easy to prep, I opted for something CRUSTLESS. TBH, I was afraid it wouldn’t hold together & that I’d have trouble getting it out of the dish once baked, but it actually worked like a charm!
All this to say, this gluten-free crustless greens, mushrooms garlic & egg white quiche is BEYOND! And by beyond, I mean beyond IN THE BEST WAY POSSIBLE!
What makes it so beyond?!
Loaded with greens, mushrooms, fibre, protein, antioxidants & tons of vitamins & minerals!
Works for breaky, brunch, lunch or dinner!
Meal prep friendly & easy to take on the go!
Easy, quick & simple to prep!
Proof that you don’t need a crust to make a killer delicious quiche!
Browned & crispy on the outside & super fluffy & pillowy on the inside!
SUPER-DUPER-UBER CHEESY, but without the cheese! (Nutritional yeast FTW, plus B12!)
PRO TIP (Kay I’m not actually a pro though, but ya know what I mean): A good ‘ol trick of mine (that I’m sure some of you must already know) is to add some plant-based milk to my egg whites before adding them to whatever I’m making! This makes them super fluffy & pillowy! Basically, what I do is season the egg whites with all the spices & then I add in a few tbsp. of milk (usually almond milk) & then I whisk it all together. I’m telling you, those few tablespoons of milk make all the difference!!!! Don’t believe me? TRY ME!
Now, without further ado, let’s talk about how to make this baby (WAIT TILL YOU SEE HOW SIMPLE IT IS!).
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 head of broccoli (florets only)
- 10 white mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 heaping handfuls of kale (chopped)
- 9 egg whites (or 6 eggs)
- 3 tbsp. unsweetened organic almond milk
- Avocado oil cooking spray
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast (& more for sprinkling)
- Black pepper & Celtic sea salt to taste
- For serving: Feta cheese, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, salsa, smoked salmon, vegan/regular shredded or sliced cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat & add the garlic & broccoli. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until they begin to get tender.
- Then, add in your mushrooms. Sauté until they shrink & become browned & cooked through.
- Add the kale last & sauté until wilted (but not soggy!).
- While veggies are cooking, crack egg whites into a bowl. Add milk, paprika, nutritional yeast, sea salt & pepper & beat until combined. Feel free to add shredded cheese to the mix.
- Spray a pie dish with avo oil cooking spray. Add the veggies to the dish & spread out flat. Pour the egg mix on top of everything. Add any toppings of your choice (cheese, more nutritional yeast).
- Bake for 40 minutes, then broil on high for 2 minutes. KEEP A CLOSE WATCH to avoid over-baking the eggs.