Guys, last night, a miracle happened in my KITCH.
I legit cannot contain my excitement over sharing these with you guys!!!
If you guys LOVE my vegan double chocolate black bean cookies (HERE), think of these as the UPGRADED + even more PROTEIN & FIBRE-RICH version! IF YOU KNOW, YOU MNOW. Let’s call them KITK’s VEGAN BLACK BEAN CHOCOLATE PROTEIN ENERGY BOOSTING BALLS!
There are so many good things about these balls of wonderfulness that I don’t even know where to begin!
They are completely plant-based! So yes, that means they are vegan (Ya know, in case you weren’t sure that I had your backs my vegan babes!).
They are naturally sweetened with raw organic honey, pure vanilla extract & a tad of unsweetened organic apple sauce!
BLACK BEANS. CACAO. BLACK BEANS. ANTIOXIDANTS. ANTIOXIDANTS. ANTIOXIDANTS. (Did you guys know that cacao powder contains 40x more antioxidants than… BLUEBERRIES, is the highest plant-based source of iron, is jam packed with magnesium for a healthy heart & brain, contains more calcium than cows milk + is a natural mood elevator & anti-depressant?!)
These babes are made with Sun Warrior Chocolate Protein, which is fermented & sprouted, a.k.a. great for the gut & contains tons of amino acids & just 1g of sugar per scoop!
They are clearly NUTRITIOUS AF, jam-packed with protein, low in sugar & absolutely positively completely gluten-free & grain-free!
They are satisfying, on-the-go & meal prep friendly!
Great as dessert, post or pre workout bites or afternoon snacks!
DRIZZLED WITH VEGAN CHOCOLATE (as if they weren’t tempting enough already!)
Oh & you can totally make these nut-free by subbing the almond butter for hemp seed butter or sunflower seed butter!
TRUST ME, you want these in your life!!!!!
BTW, in case you couldn’t already tell, I have an obsession with using black beans in sweet recipes, as weird or bizarre as that may sound… I also love ’em in all things savoury but there’s just something about the texture they give baked treats that’s incomparable to what you would get from flours. I SWEAR!!!! Plus, the amount of fibre & protein you get from black beans compared to what you would get from certain baking flours is ACTUALLY INCOMPARABLE!
Now, let me make this INCOMPARABLENESS part of your life! Let’s get to the nitty-gritty!
- 1 15-oz. can of organic black beans (no-salt added), DRAINED & RINSED
- 2 scoops of vegan chocolate protein (or vanilla) of your choice
- 1 tbsp. creamy almond butter (or other nut-butter of your choice or nut-free option)
- 2 tbsp. organic unsweetened applesauce
- 1 heaping tbsp. of raw organic cacao powder
- 1 tsp. pure organic vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. raw organic unpasteurized creamed honey
- 1/4 tsp. Celtic sea salt;
- 1 tbsp. homemade vanilla cinnamon almond milk (or other plant-based milk of your choice or regular milk!)
- 1/4 cup of vegan chocolate chips
- Line a plate or baking sheet with wax paper or parchment paper.
- Add all the ingredients to the bowl of your food processor & pulse on high to combine until all the ingredients are mixed together & smooth. Stop to scrape the sides, if necessary!
- It should be a soft dough texture, but you should be able to roll it into a ball or pinch in between your fingers without it sticking too much.
- If you find the batter is too sticky, add more protein powder or cacao powder.
- Roll the dough into balls. You will want to wet your hands in between every 3 or 4 balls, to make rolling easier & prevent stickiness.
- Place the balls on the parchment/wax-paper lined baking sheet & refrigerate for about 15-20 minutes to allow them to firm up a bit before drizzling them with chocolate.
- When you’re just about ready to start drizzling with the chocolate, place the chocolate chips in a small bowl. Microwave them in 25-30 second intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Remove the balls from the fridge & drizzle the chocolate over the balls by taking a bit of it in a spoon, holding the spoon over the balls & drizzling your brains out! It doesn’t have to be perfect (& it won’t be!).
- Return the balls to the fridge or enjoy as is!
- I personally prefer refrigerating them for at least a few hours or at best, overnight, to allow them to firm up & so that the drizzled chocolate firms up as well!
- Store the babes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.