Homemade 5-Minute No-Cook Kiwi Chia Seed Jam a.k.a. Bringing The Tropics To Ya This Winter!
Kay, so clearly winter is upon us & Montreal ain’t looking anything like the tropics RN. So today, I brought the tropics to mah kitch & whipped up some kiwi jam! I honestly don’t even know if we could call it “whipped up” because of how little time it took, but anyway, LET’S SAY WHIPPED UP, for lack of a better expression. All this to say, this jam is ready in 5, no, not 5 hours, 5 MINUTES!!!!
All you need are four ingredients, a blender & your fridge (to let it thicken!). Not bad, right? See, I don’t ask for much!
The great things about chia jam (& LORD KNOWS THERE ARE TONS) are:
- it’s a lot lower in sugar than normal jam & requires no added pectin or added refined sugars.
- it’s packed with omega-3’s, calcium & fibre!
- it’s super versatile – you can use it as a healthier fruit spread on toast or bagels, but you can also add it to oats, smoothies or as a topping on your fave waffles, pancakes, French toast or dessert.
- lastly, any fruit will do, so take a peek into your fridge & let your imagination run wild! I used kiwi for antioxidants, fibre & vitamin C!
BTW, kiwis are also:
- helpful in promoting & inducing restful sleep;
- great for boosting digestive health & a great source of digestive enzymes;
- an amazing source of folate;
- a freaking powerhouse of vitamins + minerals, which help fight certain types of cancer & are great for eye health;
- great for promoting beautiful, radiant & glowing skin;
- great for heart + respiratory health;
Not bad for a little green fruit, right?!
As for chia seeds, they’re:
- high in antioxidants & vitamin C (7x more than oranges)!
- a great source of iron (3x more than spinach)!
- good source of potassium (2x more than bananas!), magnesium & calcium (5x more than milk)!
- full of protein, fiber & omega-3 fatty acids (8x more than salmon)!
- great for cleansing the colon & detoxifying the body!
- A SUPERFOOD!
- also helpful in normalizing blood sugar levels, increasing energy & stamina and maintaining healthy bones & strong teeth!
So yes, this jam is PRETTY MUCH SUPERFOOD JAM!
Now, what do you need to bring this superfood-ness to your life?
- 4 ripe kiwis, peeled + sliced;
- 2 tbsp. organic chia seeds;
- 2 tbsp. warm water;
- 2 tbsp. pure organic raw unpasteurized honey (or maple syrup for vegans);
- Coconut flower syrup, yacon syrup, or brown rice syrup work too!
Now, for that HOW-TO?
- Add all your ingredients to your blender & blitz until desired consistency!
- I blended mine until it was quite smooth but kept a few chunks in there.
- Taste & add more sweetener if you wish!
- Put the chia jam (in an airtight container), covered, in the fridge for at least an hour to thicken.
- Store in an airtight container & refrigerate! It will last for up to one week!