Today’s lunch was sprouted toast topped with cottage cheese, organic salsa, roasted eggplant & mixed micro-greens! This is super simple prep-wise! BUT, when it comes to health benefits, let me explain JUST HOW AM\AZING this is! Legit, EVERY single one of the ingredients in here has a perk!
Wanna know what I’m talking ’bout?
- Sprouted bread is low-glycemic, higher in fibre & whole-food based nutrients than regular bread & easier to digest because enzymes are released during the sprouting process, which break down proteins & carbs. Traditional grain breads are harder to digest & the body loses a good portion of the nutrients because it is unable to digest them. In fact, regular bread contains physic acid, which is known as a mineral blocker, or enzyme inhibitor & it’s what binds to minerals. When you eat wheat bread, it may say “contains 5g of magnesium & 10g of calcium”, but truth be told, most of the vitamins are bound up in physic acid, so they’re locked in together & when you consume that wheat bread, your body cannot digest it.
- Salsa for vitamin C, antioxidants & beta-carotene (which promotes heart health & fights aging) & contains tons of fibre, which helps stabilize blood sugar. It’s also super hydrating & is full of potassium!
- Cottage cheese for protein & healthy fats! It’s a great source of calcium, B12 & phosphorus. It promotes strong bones & helps maintain a healthy level of acid in the body. Phosphorus also affects how the body handles energy & minimizes muscle pains after workouts by repairing tissues & cells. It helps by absorbing B vitamins, which are key to healthy energy production! It also contains selenium, B6, zinc & potassium.
- Micro greens are young seeds of edible veggies & herbs harvested less than 14 days after germination & they contain up to 40x the nutrients of their major counterparts. This means they contain tons more antioxidants, vitamin E & vitamin C!!! They are also an excellent source of enzymes, which help promote healthy digestive health & gut health, as well as contain tons of amino acids, which are the building blocks of protein. They’re also super rich in chlorophyll, which cleanses the blood!
- Eggplant for FIBRE. FIBRE. FIBRE! ALSO, vitamin C, K, B6, magnesium, folic acid, potassium & manganese. They’re great for digestion, promote bone health & help improve cognitive ability & brain health.
So yes, this one piece of toast that takes under 5 minutes to prepare provides you with all those benefits!!!
Now, let’s get to the nitty-gritty!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 slice of Ezekiel sesame toast OR gluten-free option;
- 1-2 tbsp. Banditos Organic roasted garlic salsa (OR any other salsa of your choice);
- 1/4 cup of Rolling Meadow Dairy organic cottage cheese;
- A handful of mixed micro-greens;
- 1 slice of roasted eggplant (Directions below);
- Coconut oil cooking spray;
- Sea salt, black pepper & garlic powder;
- Coarsely ground black pepper.
Now, for that HOW-TO?
- Prep the eggplant:
- Preheat your oven to 400F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice the eggplant & place the slices on the baking sheet.
- Spray with coconut oil cooking spray & sprinkle sea salt, garlic powder & black pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes, then flip & broil on high for 3-5 minutes.
- Toast your bread, top it with the cottage cheese, salsa, a slice of the roasted eggplant, micro-greens & black pepper.