LAZY SALADS are still YUMMY! And even more importantly, THEY DON’T MEAN UNHEALTHY! Sometimes, minimal ingredients that contain tons of essential vitamins & minerals are just about enough to get a healthy meal going (in minutes!).
The reality is that life is not always fancy. Not everything can ALWAYS be planned out. Nothing & nobody is perfect. Sometimes, you’re on the go. Sometimes, sh*t happens & something comes up. Sometimes, you need a quick & easy dinner but you don’t want to have to skimp on your health. That’s where a salad like this comes in.
Now, the salad ingredients are simple & great & super nutritious. But, the star of the show here really is the dressing!! I mean, cumin, turmeric & balsamic in the same sentence = PARTY IN YOUR MOUTH, no? Yes, yes. I like to call it “FLAVOUR GOALS!”. Not only is it delish but it’s super anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial & VERY low on the glycemic index (thanks to the yacon syrup, which has a much lower GI score than most other healthy sugar substitutes, such as: maple syrup & honey).
The other star of this salad & the ingredient that takes this salad from simple & definitely not a meal to meal caliber is: WALNUTS! What’s so good about walnuts? Um, the question should rather be: WHERE DO I BEGIN ABOUT THE BENEFITS OF WALNUTS?
- Improve heart function – They are super rich in omega-3 & are a great source of monounsaturated fatty acids, such as oleic acid (also found in olive oil);
- Boost bone health & improve metabolism!
- May help control diabetes & prevent certain types of cancer.
- Great for the skin!
- Help regulate sleep (because they naturally contain melatonin)!
- Contain rare & very powerful antioxidants!
- Boost mood!
- Reduce stress levels!
- Rich in protein!
- May help ease constipation!
- Very rich in phosphorus & magnesium, which help with energy levels, as well as digestion, overall health & improving/facilitating muscle/joint pain/recovery.
HOW AWESOME IS ALL OF THAT THOUGH?
I know, right?
Now, let’s get to the nitty-gritty!!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
For the salad:
- Two heaping handfuls of fresh spinach;
- A handful of cherry tomatoes, HALVED;
- 1 medium cucumber, CHOPPED;
- 1/2 a bell pepper, DICED;
- 1/2 a red onion, SLICED;
- 2 tbsp. of raw organic walnuts;
For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp. organic balsamic vinegar;
- 1 tsp. yacon syrup;
- 1 tbsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar;
- 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric;
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin;
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder;
- Celtic sea salt & black pepper to taste;
I don’t think I need to tell you munchkins how to put a salad together, now do I? I mean, okay, fine, since this is a recipe post, let me follow through with it ’till the end. BUT I MEAN COME ON.
- Add all salad ingredients to a bowl (except walnuts).
- Season the salad with the dressing ingredients directly in the same bowl & toss to combine until all veggies are coated.
- Top the salad with the walnuts & some black pepper & gently toss again!