Y’all know how much I love my squash, right?
And y’all also know how I can’t go a day without cinnamon, right?
THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I PUT THE TWO TOGETHER: PERFECTION!
This recipe is a perfect side dish but it’s also perfect to add to Buddha bowls, to top hearty salads or simply as is!
The squash is roasted until tender & lightly caramelized! Cinnamon & cayenne add tons of warmth & anti-inflammatory/anti-bacterial benefits! The coconut vinegar is packed with amino acids,vitamins B & C, fiber & naturally occurring pre-biotic for digestive health!
Not only is the combination of these two ingredients perfection when it comes to taste, but MORE IMPORTANTLY, when it comes to health!
What are some of the health benefits of these two superfoods (IMO, anyway!)?
Butternut squash provides tons of fibre, potassium & B6, as well as folate! It’s a great source of carotenoids & contains high levels of beta-carotene. It’s also packed with vitamin C & antioxidants! It helps keep bones healthy, helps decrease fatigue & increase physical performance!
Ceylon cinnamon is anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal & anti-microbial! It helps lower cholesterol & is a great source of iron, manganese, fiber, calcium & is beneficial for diabetes. It helps boost cognitive function & memory & may help with migraines & headaches!
Not bad for a butternut squash seasoning, eh?
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 butternut squash, cut into wedges;
- 1.5 tsp. Ceylon cinnamon;
- A pinch of cayenne pepper;
- 2 tbsp. coconut vinegar;
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- Sea salt + black pepper
- Coconut oil cooking spray
Now, HOW-TO MAKE THESE BABES:
- Cut your butternut squash up into wedges or cubes! & please, do not slice your arm or hand off in the process.
- Preheat your oven to 400F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Season your butternut squash in a large mixing bowl & toss to coat.
- Place the wedges on the baking sheet & bake for 20 minutes, then flip & bake again for 20 more minutes.
- Broil on high for 5 minutes to get them crispy & charred!