Okay so those of you who know me know that I have a serious obsession with the smoked tofu at Copper Branch. I literally ALWAYS get it when I order a power bowl. & TBH, I think it was about time I tried to replicate it myself! I have to say, I did a pretty good job!
- It’s super crispy & golden on the outside, just the right amount of sweet & baked to perfection!
- I used sprouted organic tofu to boost the nutrient content & provide a digestive boost!
- To reduce sodium content, I used coconut aminos, which also contains tons of essential amino acids!
Ok, but before we get into the recipe, I bet you’re wondering, what’s the deal with tofu, right? Some say it’s good for you, others say it isn’t. What’s the verdict?
SAY YES to whole, real soy, such as: miso, tempeh, tofu & edamame (which is basically soybeans in their pod). These can be a good source of good quality protein & plant compounds that help promote overall health. Always try to go for organic soy & stay away from GMO versions!
SAY NO to processed soy, such as: soy proteins isolate & concentrates, genetically engineered soy foods, soy supplement, hydrogenated soy bean oil, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, non-organic sources of soy & soy junk foods, such as soy cheese, ice cream, oil & burgers.
Human studies on soy are actually very LIMITED, which means that a lot of the claims that are made about soy are generalized & the dangers are overstated. Some studies that do exist suggest that soy may help lower cholesterol, prevent certain types of cancer, increase bone density & protect the kidneys of people with diabetes.
In truth, good human studies on soy are limited, but those we do have suggest that soy may help lower cholesterol, prevent cancer, increase bone density, protect the kidneys of people with diabetes, and relieve menopausal symptoms like hot flashes.
Now that we’ve sorta cleared that up (as much as we could anyway!), let’s get to the nitty-gritty!!!
But wait, first let me just give you some ideas on how you can devour this deliciousness:
- As is!
- Buddha bowls!
- Rice bowls!
SO MANY OPTIONS. SO LITTLE TIME!
Okay, fine, now let’s get to the nitty-gritty. WE GOTTA TRY TO SAVE Y’ALL SOME TIME, ya dig?
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 package of extra-firm sprouted organic tofu;
- 2 tbsp. coconut aminos;
- 1 tbsp. arrowroot starch;
- 1/2 tbsp. Sriracha;
- 1 tsp. ground ginger;
- 3/4 tsp. minced onion;
- Celtic sea salt + black pepper!
- Preheat your oven to 400F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper;
- Remove the tofu from the package & drain any excess moisture/water by patting it down with a dish towel or a few layered paper towels. The tofu should be dry & firm before you cut through it.
- Cut the tofu into cubes.
- Season the tofu in a medium mixing bowl & toss to coat it in the seasoning.
- Place the cubes in the baking sheet & bake for 20 minutes, then flip & bake again for 10-15 minutes until the tofu is crispy & browned!