Vegan & Gluten-Free No-Fry Baked Potato Latkes a.k.a. All I Want for Hannukah Is 8 Nights Of THIS!
HAPPY HANNUKAH BABES!
& Even if you aren’t celebrating? You want & need these VEGAN & GLUTEN FREE BAKED POTATO LATKES in your life!!!!
AND WAIT FOR IT, you read right… I did say “BAKED!!!” That means you don’t need to spend hours frying & smelling up your entire house with these babies (a.k.a. you don’t have to freeze your butt off with the doors open to let in a draft so that your house doesn’t smell like a donut shop!!!).
So, if you don’t know, now you know but I’m Moroccan Jewish. And Lord knows Moroccan Jews (or well, ALL JEWS) & holidays are all about the food. The problem with Jewish cooking is that it’s basically everything NOT HEALTHY. Especially on Hannukah.
You see, Hannukah is the holiday of light & by light, I mean oil. Way back when, they weren’t using candles to light the Menorah (Safe to say we’ve upgraded a bit). They were using oil. And not only were they using it to light candles, but they literally put that SH*T on everything as a testimony to the miracle of the little bit of oil lasting eight days. Anyway, I am not gonna get into the whole history of Hannukah ’cause I’d probably bore you to death (although I guess I went to Jewish school for 12 years for a reason!). But basically, HANNUKAH FOOD IS NOT THE HEALTHIEST. And TBH, I can’t even think of a Jewish recipe that involves JUST A VEGGIE OR FRUIT… besides for apples & honey. But like? You catch my drift. Jewish food tastes delicious but it’s not always the healthiest.
SO HERE I AM, KELLY IN THE KITCHIN’ trying to find a vegan & gluten-free (& slightly healthier) alternative to the POTATO LATKES WE ALL GREW UP WITH!
Made with a flax egg, ground up oats & apple sauce instead of eggs, flour & oil/butter, BUT STILL JUST AS DELISH (if not more!). Ya dig?
They are SUPER easy to make & will BRIGHTEN & LIGHTEN yours & all your family & friends’ Hannukah! You’ll definitely be making these more than once. I mean, Hannukah lasts eight days after all, right?
OH & wait, the best part? Serve them with some organic unsweetened applesauce, cottage cheese or ketchup & OMFG. (So damn heavenly, yes).
Wait, I’m not done. What’s also amazing (as if you needed more amazingness) is the fact that they contain tons of nutritious ingredients, such as flaxseed, oats & apple sauce! You get healthy fats, tons of amino acids & protein from the flax, protein & fibre for days from the oats & MORE FIBRE & tons of vitamins from the apple sauce. You can’t go wrong baby!
And now, without further ado, let’s bring these babes to your life!!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 tbsp. ground flaxseed;
- 3 tbsp. warm water;
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled & ground up in food processor;
- 1 sweet white onion, ground up in food processor;
- 2/3 cup of gluten-free rolled oats, slightly ground;
- 1 tsp. garlic powder;
- 1 tbsp. organic unsweetened apple sauce;
- 1/2 tsp. Celtic sea salt;
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper.
Now, for that HOW TO?
- Preheat oven to 425F & line baking sheets with parchment;
- Make your flax egg by combining the flax + water in a bowl. Stir & let sit for 10 minutes to thicken;
- Peel potatoes & grind them in your food processor. Once ground, place them on a few layered paper towels or a dish cloth & squeeze as much moisture out as possible;
- Grind your onion & oats in the food processor (Don’t completely grind the oats to a flour. Keep them a bit whole to make the latkes more crumbly!);
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl & stir until fully incorporated;
- Form your latkes & flatten to desired size! Place on the baking sheets;
- Bake for 15 minutes, remove, flip gently & bake again for 12 minutes! & BOOM.