Okay guys, I cannot contain my excitement about this VEGAN BANANA BREAD!!!! It’s beyond. LIKE B.E.Y.O.N.D.
Today is the perfect day for baking. It’s blowing snow like crazy & it’s basically a blizzard out there, so what’s better than baking a warm & comforting banana bread & having a generous slice with some almond butter by the fireplace? NADA. NADA AT ALL! (Oh & my gym wives are lucky ’cause I’m bringing it over to them this afternoon… that’s if there’s anything left… HELP!!!).
If I had to summarize it in just a few words? AH, THIS IS GOING TO BE HARD. But I’ll try my best. Ya’ll know I’m not exactly great at keeping things short & sweet, NO SHAME.
the perfect amount of natural sweetness!
bursting with banana flavour for days!
moist on the inside, crumbly AF on the outside!
with a bonus of caramelized baked bananas!
BASICALLY, IF YOU’RE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO DRIVE YOU WILD, IT’S THIS.
Not only is it ABSOLUTELY DELISH, but the prep time is incredibly fast & involves just 2 bowls & ingredients that you most probably already have on hand! (& in case you are wondering, by prep time being incredibly fast, I’m totally referring to TEN MINUTES. YES, TEN MINUTES. That’s all I need. Ten minutes out of your precious day!).
Its base is made with gluten-free rolled oats & sprouted spelt flour.
- The oats add just the right amount of crumble;
- The spelt flour adds a dense texture & a nutty, wholesome flavour to the mix (& a digestive health boost!). Spelt flour helps circulation due to its iron & copper content, builds strong bones, boosts immune system, decreases cholesterol, reduces blood pressure & lowers blood sugar levels, is a high source of manganese & is richer in protein & fibre than regular white flour!
- BTW, you can sub the spelt for a gluten-free option, if you prefer!
Some of the other ingredients you’ll find in here are flaxseed, homemade cashew milk, coconut oil, pure organic maple syrup, vanilla & date sugar. I mean, does it get any more clean?
And who would’ve thought you could get such a perfect balance of macros from a slice of this DESSERT?! Yes, it’s so good, it’s dessert.
Not only is this banana bread EVERYTHING that’s mentioned above (I mean, that should be enough, right?), BUT IT’S ALSO: Egg free, dairy free, refined sugar free & soy free!
This makes for the perfect breakfast topped with some creamy almond butter & a side of fruit, OR even makes for a great snack whether you’re on the go or sitting by the fire. You simply cannot go wrong with this one!
BTW, DATE SUGAR, right? What on earth? Let me explain! I used it because I ran out of coconut sugar, TBH. But then, low & behold, when do I use something & not do research about it? NEVER. So what exactly is date sugar?!
It’s not actually sugar. It’s just granulated dried dates. But, it ends up looking a bit like brown sugar or coconut sugar!
- The entire date is used to make date sugar, which means it is a whole food sweetener packed with FIBRE! Regular sugar, on the other hand, is highly processed & contains zero macros, other than sugar.
- Date sugar contains tons of potassium, magnesium & copper! It also contains moderate amounts of iron, calcium, phosphorus, niacin & B6!
- Date sugar is also rich in antioxidants!
- Dates are high in natural sugars which are easily processed & utilized but he body for energy (That’s why so many people use dates in their mid-afternoon smoothies for a pick-me-up to ward off tiredness!).
All this to say: DATE SUGAR IS A GOOD NATURAL SWEETENER & ALTERNATIVE TO PROCESSED WHITE SUGAR!
Now, without further ado (because I know you’re probably DYING), LET’S GET TO THE NITTY-GRITTY.
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- About 3 large very ripe bananas, MASHED (this should give you about 1 1/2 cups of mashed banana);
- 2 tbsp. ground flaxseed;
- 1/3 cup homemade cashew/almond milk (or any other plant-based milk of your choice. If making this recipe vegan is not a concern for you, you can sub for regular milk!).
- For my homemade almond milk recipe (which you can swap for cashews, as well), click here: Homemade Vanilla Cinnamon Almond Milk a.k.a. Oh-Really?-Store-Bought-Almond-Milk-Still-Exists?-No-Thanks!
- 1/3 cup organic coconut oil, MELTED;
- 2 tbsp. pure organic maple syrup;
- 2 tsp. pure organic vanilla bean paste (or extract);
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. date sugar (or coconut sugar);
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats;
- 1 tsp. baking soda;
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder;
- 1/2 tsp. Celtic sea salt;
- 1/2 – 1 tsp. Ceylon cinnamon;
- 1.5 cups of organic sprouted spelt flour (Replace with GF option, if necessary! But keep in mind that it won’t have the same nutty flavour & dense texture than it would if you use spelt flour! Don’t panic if it doesn’t look exactly the same as the one pictured here; I’m sure it will still be delish!).
- A good gluten-free alternative for spelt flour is GF oat flour! Quinoa, amaranth or brown rice flour work as well! If you don’t have oat flour, make your own by adding your GF rolled oats to your food processor or blender & processing/blending them until they reach a flour-like consistency!
- You can also use a 1/2 + 1/2 blend of almond flour/meal & all-purpose gluten-free flour!
- 1/2 sliced banana & more Ceylon cinnamon for topping.
- Feel free to top with some chopped walnuts &/or vegan chocolate chips, if your heart desires!!
NOW, for that HOW-TO?
- Preheat your oven to 350F & line a loaf pan with parchment paper or lightly spray it with coconut oil cooking pray & set aside.
- In a large bowl, add your dry ingredients & mix until they’re combined!
- In another bowl, mash the banana until almost smooth (leave a few chunks in there; YOU’LL THANK ME LATER!). Make sure you have about 1 1/3 cups!
- Once the banana is mashed, add all the other wet ingredients to the bowl with the banana! Stir them until fully combined & incorporated!
- Now, gently pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones! Stir like cray until there are no flour patches leftover at the bottom or on the edges of the bowl.
- Spoon the batter into the loaf pan & spread out evenly (I might sound crazy right now, but what I like to do once the batter is in the loaf pan is slam it down on the table once or twice or three times to get everything flattened & evened out in there! DISCLAIMER: IF YOU HAVE A BABY OR CHILD SLEEPING – IT’S NOT MY FAULT IF YOU WAKE THEM UP! Plus, don’t you wanna share your banana bread? DIDN’T THINK SO!).
- Once the batter is set in the loaf pan, top with your desired toppings & gently press them into the dough so that they stick!
- Bake the loaf, UNCOVERED, for 45 to 50 minutes (I baked mine for 48 minutes & it was JUST RIGHT!). Cooking time may vary, so make sure you check on it at the 45-minute mark, then judge! You want it to be lightly golden & firm/crumbly on top! The top of the loaf should slowly spring back when touched & IT SHOULD PASS THE KNIFE TEST!
- Allow the loaf to cool for about 20-30 minutes (Photograph it while it cools! LAWLZ). Once it’s cooled, stick it in the fridge for 20-30 minutes to allow it to slightly firm up (to facilitate slicing & prevent it from breaking apart!).
- Once firmed up, remove the loaf from the fridge, slice it & BAM!
- The loaf should keep well in the fridge tightly wrapped or in an airtight container for 3-4 days (Or you can freeze it for up to 6 weeks!).
- P.S. Trust me, you want to top it with almond / peanut butter.