Vegan cheesy garlicky sautéed Brussels sprouts, anyone?
Okay, so this is probably one of the simplest recipes I meal prepped this weekend, but they are so good that I HAD to share.
The STAR ingredient in this recipe is NUTRITIONAL YEAST: a great source of plant-based protein & vitamin B12 that adds a cheesy & nutty flavour to recipes (without the dairy!).
- Nutritional yeast also has antiviral & antibacterial properties.
- It promotes healthy skin, hair & nails (It contains antioxidants, such as selenium).
- It’s great for digestion.
- It also boosts the immune system.
- It contains highly absorbable amounts of nucleotides (the building blocks of DNA & RNA), which makes it great for promoting cellular repair & regeneration.
- 15-40% of people are deficient in B-vitamins, which can lead to deep & ongoing fatigue, brain fog, irritability, depression & even insomnia (because B-vitamins play a crucial role in melatonin production). The body largely depends on B6 to make the hormone serotonin, which affects mood & feelings of happiness. If you improve your vitamin B intake (BY EATING THE YEAST BABY), you will sleep better, balance your hormones & increase your energy levels, focus, clarity & overall mental health & function.
- Not only does it contain selenium, B-vitamins (folate, thiamine, B12 & B6, but it also contains iron & zinc!
All you need to make these babies is 5 ingredients, a skillet & just under 10 minutes!
BTW: In case you were wondering, brussels sprouts are an amazing source of fibre, protein (believe it or not!), vitamin C + antioxidants! They are an excellent source of vitamin K, as well as folate, manganese, B6, copper, vitamin B1, potassium, phosphorus & omega-3 fatty acids!
Sautéing these babies gives them the perfect amount of char & leaves them crispy & crunchy!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- About 1/2lb. of Brussels sprouts, rinsed, cleaned & halved;
- 2 to 3 tbsp. of nutritional yeast;
- 1 tbsp. of dried minced onion;
- 1 tsp. of garlic powder;
- Sea salt & black pepper for seasoning;
- Avocado or coconut oil cooking spray;
- Add your Brussels to a large mixing bowl & season with the rest of the ingredients. Toss to combine & coat them entirely in the spice mix!
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat & spray with avocado/coconut oil cooking spray.
- Once heated, add your seasoned Brussels. Lower the heat to medium & sauté for about 7-9 minutes, until they are browned, charred, cooked through but still crispy & crunchy!