Clean-Eating Sprouted Garlicky Breadcrumb Chicken Fingers a.k.a. Your Childhood In A Nutshell (& So Good, Your Kids Won’t Leave You Any Leftovers!)
Today’s weekly meal prep theme is 5-ingredients or less! I figured this would be a fun challenge for myself, but more importantly, a great way to show you guys that meal prep doesn’t have to be fancy, meal prep recipes don’t have to contain every complicated ingredient under the sun & meal prep doesn’t have to be a chore!
ON THE CONTRARY: Meal prep can ACTUALLY be simple, easy & quick. Meal prep recipes can actually contain ONLY FIVE INGREDIENTS & meal prep can actually be FUN & something you look forward to.
Having a family & kiddies to take care of, being in school & studying for exams while pursuing the degree of your dreams & working a demanding job doesn’t mean you have to skimp on your health, taking care of yourself & staying on track with your goals; it just means you need to find ways to MAKE IT ALL WORK. Having a bunch of easy meal prep recipes on hand & available to you is one thing that will most certainly help!
ALL HAIL KELLY IN THE KITCH BABY!
LET THESE HEALTHY CHICKEN FINGERS BE THE START OF YOU REALIZING ALL OF THE ABOVE & GETTING INTO THE MEAL PREP ZONE! And in case you need some more inspo & want to know why I swear by meal prep, read this: Kelly In The Kitch’s Guide to Meal Prep a.k.a. Why The Heck I Swear By Meal Prep!
Made with JUST (yes, JUST) Ezekiel sprouted bread (which you can replace with gluten-free bread, if you wish!), black pepper, fresh garlic, coconut oil cooking spray & lean chicken breast!
I GUARANTEE THE WHOLE FAMILY WILL LOVE & ADORE THESE! Think of them as HEALTHY SCHNITZEL. AND WHO DOES NOT LOVE SCHNITZEL, lez be honest?
Not only are they SO SIMPLE & SO DELICIOUS, but they are light, clean, healthy & great for digestion! And that’s because they’re not made with just ANY packaged breadcrumb; they’re made with breadcrumbs that YOU make in the comfort of your OWN HOME & they are sprouted!!!!
Sprouting grains increases many of the grains’ key nutrients, including B vitamins, vitamin C, folate, fiber, iron & essential amino acids, often lacking in grains, such as lysine. This is because sprouted grains have partially started to go through the germination process, where growth inhibitors are deactivated, thus permitting greater vitamin & mineral availability. They are also less allergenic to those with grain protein sensitivities & contain up to 3x the amount of soluble fibre in non-sprouted grains, which means they are ALSO easier to digest!
BTW, just warning you, you might want to double your batch. YOUR KIDS ARE GOING TO O-D OVER THESE & you want there to be leftovers, trust me.
LAST BUT NOT LEAST: They bring back so many childhood memories! (Only a little healthier!!!).
Now, let’s get to the nitty-gritty!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 pack of lean chicken breast, CUT INTO STRIPS/CHICKEN FINGERS;
- 3-4 slices of sprouted bread of your choice OR gluten-free bread (I used Ezekiel sesame toast);
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, MINCED;
- Black pepper for seasoning;
- Coconut oil cooking spray.
Now, for that HOW-TO?
- Rip apart the bread & add it with the garlic to the bowl of your food processor & pulse repeatedly until breadcrumb consistency is obtained;
- Line a baking sheet or plate with parchment paper to lay the chicken fingers on once they are coated in the mixture;
- Once your chicken breast is cut into chicken finger shape, dip each piece of chicken into the breadcrumb mixture to coat it in the breadcrumbs (make sure you do both sides!). Place the chicken fingers on the plate & repeat the process until you’re done!
- Once all the chicken fingers are coated, sprinkle some black pepper over them.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat & spray with coconut oil cooking spray.
- Once heated, place the chicken fingers in the skillet (You might have to do it in two batches, depending how much chicken you had!) & cook on each side for about 4 minutes. The chicken should be cooked through (& no longer pink) & the tops should be crusted, browned & crispy!
- Serve immediately & devour OR place the cooked chicken fingers on a plate, allow them to cool & store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.