VEGAN SUGAR COOKIES, anyone?
I know you want them.
But wait, let me make you want them EVEN MORE.
What’s so great about them? OH BABY. WHERE SHALL I BEGIN?
- THEY WILL DRIVE YOU WILD.
- Made with JUST 5 SUPER HEALTHY INGREDIENTS.
- Fitting AF for the holiday season that’s upon us!
- Gluten-free, refined sugar-free & vegan!
- Crumbly AF!
- Delicious! Guys… LIKE SO DAMN DELISH. YOU DON’T EVEN GET IT. YOU JUST NEED THEM IN YOUR LIFE. NOW.
- So good, your hubby & kids will devour the full batch before you even have a chance to get one for yourself!!!!!!! A.K.A. HIDE THEM.
- They bring back tons of childhood memories! (Guys… they kind of remind me of the PILLSBURY, YES, PILLSBURY, SNOWMAN COOKIES!!! IF YOU KNOW, YOU KNOW).
- Super customizable & decoration-friendly! Feel free to go crazy & have fun with icing, sprinkles & toppings. IT’S THE HOLIDAYS!!!!!
- Basically, an Xmas/Chanukah miracle!!!!
Now, I did something a little different than usual here. I used gluten-free SORGHUM FLOUR. TBH, I had bought it a month or two ago & had no idea what it was but it looked interesting & it was another gluten-free option to add to my pantry (or party, OR BOTH. PANTRY PARTY!). ANYWHO, I wanted to use oat flour for these babies but I realized I had run out, AND THEN LOW & BEHOLD… THE SORGHUM FLOUR CAUGHT MY EYE. So I said, why not? But wait, before I used it, I OBVS DID MY RESEARCH (Have you met me?).
TURNS OUT it’s actually a whole grain that’s known for being FULL OF FIBRE, packed with antioxidants, amazing for digestion & is slower absorbed by the body so it helps balance sugar levels. It’s also a great source of plant-based protein. It’s super high in phytochemicals, which means that it helps protect against common nutrition-related diseases, such as cancer & heart disease. Due to the high concentration of anti-inflammatory phytochemical antioxidants, combined with the high fibre & plant-based protein content of this flour, sorghum is a potential natural remedy for certain types of cancers.
OH & it adds a beautifully crumbly texture to baked treats!).
BUT WAIT, WORRY NOT. Don’t have sorghum? No problem!!! These babes will bake just perfectly with gluten-free oat flour, buckwheat, quinoa or almond flour as well! You want to go for heavier grains to really obtain that crumbly texture!
I also swapped the sugar (I mean… it’s a sugar cookie LAWLZ) for pure organic maple syrup, real deal butter for raw organic coconut butter & added some pure organic vanilla for natural sweetness. AND I NAILED IT. BAMBAMBAM. Still sweet, delicious, crumbly & perfect… and ready to be decorated for the holiday season STAT!
All this to say: Basically, you want & need these cookies in your life.
They’re an Xmas / Chanukah miracle. SERIOUSLY.
Now, without further ado, let’s make that miracle come to life!!!!!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1.5 cups of sorghum flour (or oat flour, buckwheat, quinoa or almond flour);
- 1/3 cup of pure organic maple syrup;
- 2 tbsp. of raw organic coconut butter (swap for coconut oil OR cashew butter if you don’t have!);
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder;
- 1 tsp. pure organic vanilla extract;
- A pinch of sea salt!
- You’ll also need WAX PAPER.
OPTIONAL: You can make a frosting by combining 1/2 cup of raw organic coconut butter, 2-3 tbsp. of pure organic maple syrup & 4-5 tbsp. of almond milk (or other non-dairy milk!). IF YOU PREFER NOT TO FROST ‘EM, you can also just sprinkle some coconut sugar or Ceylon cinnamon on them before baking!
NOW, for that HOW-TO?
- Preheat your oven to 350F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside!
- Combine the flour, baking powder, maple syrup, vanilla & sea salt in a mixing bowl.
- Melt the coconut butter until it is liquid & add it to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well to form a ball of dough (THAT LOOKS & SMELLS SO GOOD, YOU JUST WANT TO EAT IT OUT ‘DA BOWL!). I honestly found that using my hands to mix worked better than a wooden spoon or spatula! SO GET DOWN & DIRTY BABY!
- Spread/roll out the dough on a piece of wax paper. Cut them into whatever shape you like (use a cookie cutter or use the top of a cup or mug, depending how big you want them!). Repeat the cutting process with all the dough & scraps until there’s NADA left!
- Carefully use a spatula to transfer the cookies to the baking sheet lined with parchment. The cookies will be crumbly & very fragile, SO TREAT THEM WITH RESPECT, OKAY?
- Bake the babes for 10 minutes at 350F or until the edges are just golden-brown!
- Remove from the oven & cool completely before either FROSTING or STORING (But of course, DEVOUR STAT!).
- IF FROSTING: Melt the coconut butter, apple maple syrup & stir. Then, add in the almond milk 1 tbsp. at a time until you get a smooth, thick & frosty consistency!