Guys, in complete & utter seriousness, I don’t know if I’m ever buying store-bought peanut butter again!
Let’s talk about why you MUST make peanut butter at home, okay?
THIS WAS SO EASY, it hurts. & it’s made with just two ingredients: organic unsalted peanuts & sea salt! (You can even add some cinnamon, vanilla, maple syrup to sweeten it or some cacao powder to make chocolate peanut butter OR you can half-half it and do peanut & almond butter – HOW GOOD DOES THAT SOUND?). NOW, this is what I call CLEAN peanut butter!
Let me tell you, this peanut butter definitely wasn’t a bad way to start my meal prep today!
The recipe for this is very similar to my homemade almond butter (HERE), BUT it’s even easier because the peanuts naturally take less time to process & turn into a nut butter, so you save yourself a bit of a headache (both figuratively & literally… I mean, the food processor has to be on for like at least 20 minutes pulsing like a crazy person fro the almond butter… it’s really good, so I guess it’s worth it, BUT TODAY, PEANUT BUTTER!).
There’s a lot of debate over whether peanuts are healthy. And yes, some aren’t But, they very well can be if you buy HIGH-QUALITY, ORGANIC PEANUTS (I buy Valencia peanuts, but jungle peanuts are good too – both are not grown in the moisture of the ground & are grown in bushes off the ground or higher up, eliminating any concerns about mild!). PS. Valencia peanuts also contain all nine essential amino acids & antioxidants that help fight off free radical damage produced during everyday bodily functions (eating, exercise etc).
Unfortunately, this debate stems from the fact that 99% of the peanuts we buy these days have added hydrogenated oils & are not organic; this adds to the omega-6 count (saturated fat) & makes peanut butter unhealthy. BUT NOT ALL PEANUT BUTTER IS UNHEALTHY, especially if you follow this recipe & make it at home!!!!
This is why I always say to never entirely cut out or ban an entire food or food group merely based on the opinion of one person. Do your research! Nobody said you couldn’t eat peanut butter anymore, you just gotta do it right!
So really, just how easy is this? AS EASY as literally adding the peanuts (& some sea salt) to your food processor & watch as it turns into crumbs, then a thick paste & finally, a smooth, creamy, luscious & perfectly-textured peanut butter. IT’S LEGIT MAGIC!!!!
BEST OF ALL, you can obvs. adjust it based on your tastebuds! I added salt, but you can also add a touch of honey or maple syrup, vanilla extract or cacao powder. But we’ll get to that shortly!!!
It’s best to use organic roasted peanuts, but if you can’t find ’em roasted, get the organic ones & roast ’em at home! It doesn’t take that much longer & it really facilitates the process of pulsing them.
So basically, there are a few ways you can do this:
- Good ‘ol regular peanut butter with a touch of sea salt! (But you can also add some honey, maple syrup or vanilla to naturally sweeten it!).
- Almond peanut butter (use equal parts peanuts to almonds!) (Keep in mind that this will take a bit longer since based on my experience, the almonds take longer to process & turn into a paste & nut butter).
- CHOCOLATE, YES CHOCOLATE, PEANUT BUTTER (This is my next try, fo’ shizzzzzle!). Basically, this is PEANUT BUTTER NUTELLA. All you gotta do once the butter is smooth & creamy is add cacao powder & a tad of coconut sugar (or just cacao powder!).
- OR: COCONUT PEANUT BUTTER! You can do this by either adding in some raw organic coconut butter once your peanut butter is ready & then pulsing again, or by adding in some unsweetened shredded coconut!
OKAY, now without further ado, YOU WILL NEED:
- 2 cups of unsalted organic peanuts (preferably roasted, to save yourself a step, but if not, I’ll tell you how to roast ’em!);
- 1/4 to 3/4 tsp. of sea salt (depending how salty you like it);
- OPTIONAL: 1-2 tsp. honey, pure organic maple syrup or pure organic vanilla extract;
- FOR ALMOND PEANUT BUTTER: Swap 1 cup of the organic peanuts for unsalted whole organic almonds (& add sweeteners/salt if you wish);
- FOR CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER: Add 1/2 cup of raw organic unsweetened cacao powder & 1/4 cup of coconut sugar (or any other sweetener of choice). Keep in mind that the cacao powder is pretty bitter, so you’ll want to add a bit of some sort of natural sweetener to sweeten things up a bit & fight that bitterness!);
- FOR COCONUT PEANUT BUTTER: Add 1/2 cup of organic unsweetened shredded coconut or 1/4 – 1/2 cup of raw organic coconut butter.
Now, for that HOW-TO?
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Add the nuts to a round or square cake pan or a rimmed baking sheet & roast them for 3 minutes! Shake the pan then roast for another 3-5 minutes or until the nuts are LIGHTLY browned & smell nutty. (CAREFUL… THEY DO BURN QUICKLY!).
- Add the roasted nuts (all peanuts or half/half peanuts & almonds) & sea salt to the bowl of a food processor! Process for about 2 minutes, then scrape the sides with a rubber spatula or spoon! Process for another 2-5 minutes, until the peanut butter is shiny, smooth, thick & luscious.
- At this point, if you are adding in any sweeteners, cacao powder, coconut sugar, coconut butter or shredded coconut & then, process another minute or two until blended & shiny.
- Once ready, transfer the PB to a container, mason jar or tupperware.
How to store it?: Transfer the PB to a container, mason jar or tupperware, cover & refrigerate! You MUST refrigerate it, even if you don’t usually refrigerate the store-bought kind. This one contains LITERALLY NOTHING… well you know what I mean. NO PRESERVATIVES! AKA, THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN PRESERVE IT WELL IS IN YOUR FRIDGE.
P.S. If you have a REALLY HIGH-POWERED BLENDER, you should be able to make the PB in it, as well!