Blueberry Kombucha Lemon Ginger REFINED-SUGAR-FREE Healthy Gummies a.k.a. Probiotic Gummies So Delicious, That Even The Kiddies Will Love ‘Em!!
Sorry it took me so long to share this recipe with you – I know the anticipation has been killing you guys!! And honestly, I would be salivating just at the sight of them too so I don’t blame you guys!
This one is a little different than my usual stuff… BUT WOW… WHO KNEW STEPPING OUT OF COMFORT ZONES COULD TASTE THIS GOOD?
Okay guys, call me crazy but the other day, I made these BLUEBERRY KOMBUCHA LEMON GINGER GUMMIES & OHMAHGOODNESS. I was honestly SUPER SKEPTICAL about these & I had NO IDEA if they would work because I had never used beef gelatin before & had never attempted making my own gummy bears either! Plus, when the mix went into the freezer, it was legit a liquid in a baking pan… didn’t look too hopeful, to say the least!
Made with just GT’s Kombucha lemonade & gingerade kombucha, Vital Proteins Beef Gelatin, pure organic maple syrup & organic frozen blueberries! Yes… that’s it. And yes, they are healthy gummy fruit snacks!!!!!
Wondering what beef gelatin is? YEP, I wondered too. But of course, knowing moi, KELLY IN THE KITCH, let’s just say I did mah research!
The Vital Proteins Beef Gelatin is a pasture-raised, grass-fed bovine hide gelatin powder that supports gut & digestive health, helps build & protect the body’s collagen & provides tons of benefits for muscle recovery, joint health, healthy skin, heart & bone health!
It contains no artificial flavours, supplements or fillers & no sugar!
It’s also gluten & dairy-free!
& MOST IMPORTANTLY… It’s the star ingredient of these babies – Without it, there is no gummy!!! The beef gelatin is really what allows the other ingredients to bind together & to FORM the gummy!
Not only is beef gelatin super beneficial to our health, but these babies are also infused with KOMBUCHA & BLUEBERRIES, so they’re full of antioxidants, vitamin C, probiotics & boost mental clarity, immunity, energy & mood! Okay, I don’t know about you, but I’ve never heard of a gummy candy that can taste THIS good & do ALL THAT to boost your health, have you? Don’t tell me fuzzy peaches & cherry blasters could do all of that because I won’t believe you for a split second. #SorryNotSorry!
If you want to read all about the benefits of kombucha, click here: Everything You Need to Know About Kombucha a.k.a. Why I Haven’t Gone a Day Without This Babe Since I Started My Journey Towards Anorexia Recovery
BTW, if you’re not a fan of kombucha or haven’t yet hopped on that bandwagon, WORRY NOT. You can make these with any other liquid, such as any type of fruit juice (BUT MAKE SURE IT DOESN’T CONTAIN ANY ADDED OR REFINED SUGARS), or even coconut water! But honestly, I think even if you don’t LOVE kombucha or you’ve never tried it, this is a perfect way to get in your daily dose of it (along with all its benefits), without having to scarf down a bottle that you aren’t able to stomach. Ya feel?
ALSO, if you’re not down with blueberries, you can substitute them with any other fruit of your choice, such as other berries, mango, pineapple or tart cherries!
Believe it or not, even if they look a little complicated, THEY’RE NOT. They are super simple, quick & easy to prepare, not to mention, you need VERY MINIMAL ingredients for these babies.
BTW, THEY’RE ALSO SO GOOD THAT YOUR KIDDIES WILL LOVE THEM! They are a great alternative to all the gummy worms & bears & “berries” & rings & “cherry blasters” on them market these days.
To give you a quick example of what some of these candies contain, here’s the ingredients list for the Maynard’s Gummy Bears.
… MY GOODNESS. Glucose syrup, sugar, gelatin, citric acid, modified potato starch, concentrated pear juice, mineral oil, carnauba wax, soybean oil, natural and artificial flavour, colour (with tartrazine).
WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU EAT THOSE, LET ALONE FEED THEM TO YOUR KIDDIES when you can make these babies with way less ingredients, all off which provide a host of health benefits & they can be made SO EASILY in the comfort of your own home? (So nope, you don’t have o make a late night pharmacy run for these babies).
You wanna bet they’re THAT EASY… LET ME EXPLAIN!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1/2 cup of Vital Proteins Beef Gelatin powder;
- 2-4 tbsp. of pure organic maple syrup (depending how much you want to sweeten them – I used 2 tbsp. & they were perfectly to my liking!);
- 2 cups of kombucha, fruit juice, coconut water or other liquid of choice;
- MAKE SURE IT DOES NOT CONTAIN REFINED OR ADDED SUGAR or you’re taking the healthiness away from these babies!
- 1 cup of DEFROSTED frozen blueberries, PURÉED IN BLENDER (or any other berry of your choice – you can also use frozen mangoes, pineapple or tart cherries!);
- Gummy bear candy moulds or a baking pan/tray.
Now, for that HOW-TO?
DISCLAIMER OR WARNING OR BEWARE OR WHATEVER: It’s very important to have all your ingredients on hand, ready & measured out before starting because you’ll need to work quickly once you start!
- Purée the defrosted fruit in your blender;
- Place the juice/kombucha/coconut water & maple syrup in a small saucepan & heat over LOW HEAT until warm & starting to simmer, but not too hot or boiling!
- Add in the puréed fruit.
- Once the mix is warm, start sprinkling the gelatin over the juice mixture while WHISKING or using an immersion blender (I used a whisk & it worked perfectly, so yes, you can be lazy & no, you don’t have to take out the immersion blender!).
- Continue adding the gelatin until it is ALL INCORPORATED & the mix is a smooth liquid texture. If you add the gelatin too quickly, it will make it harder to get the mixture to incorporate & come together.
- As soon as the gelatin is mixed in & combined, and the mix is smooth & liquidy, pour it into your gummy bear moulds or a lightly greased baking dish & place in the fridge or freezer until hardened.
- I used a baking dish & froze mine for at least 5 hours & once I took it out of the freezer, it was firmed up & perfectly ready to be cut into gummies! (Next time I make these, I will get moulds to make things even easier!).
- If you use moulds, you can allow them to harden in the fridge as opposed to the freezer, but pop them into the freezer about 10 minutes before you want to take them out of the moulds to facilitate removal!