Whoever said burgers had to be made with meat ain’t never seen these babies!!!! WHO ELSE IS FEELIN’ THESE VEGAN & GLUTEN-FREE CHICKPEA PATTIES?! I know I am. Don’t lie. I know you are too!!!!
What’s so great about them?
- Well, for starters, they are made with the cleanest & most nutritious ingredients!
- They pack a hell of a lot of flavour, loads of plant-based protein, fibre, healthy fats & are grain-free, dairy-free, egg-free, oil-free & soy-free! So basically, what I’m trying to say is that ANYONE, YES, JUST ABOUT ANYONE, CAN EAT THESE!
- They’re flavourful AF!
- Not only are they made with the cleanest & most nutritious ingredients, but ALSO VERY MINIMAL INGREDIENTS!
- They’re simple, fun & easy to make!
- Crispy AF on the outside & soft on the inside!
- They are the definition of what a good freaking veggie burger should be!
- Lightly fried in avocado oil for a good dose of healthy fats!
Basically, texture-wise, what you’re going for here is nice & firm (on the outside, at least!). So you need to jump into making this recipe with a bit of flexibility, a.k.a. make sure you have a bit of extra flour on hand! Follow the recipe to a “T” (OBVS), but if you end up with something that doesn’t easily want to form a ball, or that’s too sticky, then your mix is too wet, you’ll need more flour (Your mix could end up being too wet depending on the water content of your onion or fresh herbs, so don’t worry – flour will fix it!).
I knew I wanted to use onion & garlic, because I mean… WHEN DO I NOT? But I also knew that adding the raw onion to the food processor with the chickpeas & other ingredients would have added too much water… SO THAT’S WHY I COOKED THEM FIRST! And let me tell you, the taste of browned sautéed onion & garlic is FAR BETTER than fresh. Who agrees with me? You. Yes, you. Kay, great!
PRO TIP (Kay, I’m not actually a pro, but ya know what I mean – BASICALLY, I’M HERE TO GIVE YOU A LITTLE TIP!): Once your burgers are formed into patties, the trick is to place them in the freezer on a plate lined with parchment paper & covered with another piece of parchment paper to give them time to firm up (This will facilitate frying & prevent them from breaking apart!).
I don’t think I need to tell you how to serve these babies – THEY’RE BURGERS! Stuff a gluten-free bun or lettuce wraps with tons of avocado, lettuce, onion, mustard, hummus, guac, caramelized onions, vegan cheese or vegan mayo, grilled or marinated peppers, hot sauce, MY GOODNESS… THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS! (& knowing me, if I don’t stop, I could go on for DAYZ ON END!).
Now, since I have a few other recipes to write up & I want to spare you the salivation & teasing, because you’re probably already craving these, let’s get right to it!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 15-oz. can of organic chickpeas;
- 1 white onion, DICED;
- Avocado oil cooking spray;
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, MINCED;
- 1 tsp. of smoked paprika;
- 1 tsp. of Italian seasoning (or other dried herb);
- 1 tsp. of ground cumin;
- 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro, CHOPPED;
- 3 tbsp. of garbanzo (chickpea) flour (& more on hand for rolling or to add to your burger batter, if it’s too watery/sticky!);
- The juice of one organic lemon!
- Chop the onion & crush the garlic & add it to a frying pan with avocado oil cooking spray! Fry the onion & garlic until just before they are browned & fragrant, about 5 minutes. Once cooked, set aside;
- Drain the chickpeas & add them to your food processor with the rest of your ingredients, as well as the cooked onions & garlic & process until a thick burger batter is formed!
- Form the batter into patties & place them on a plate lined with parchment paper.
- If the batter is too sticky or wet, add more flour so that it easily forms into a ball!
- Once your patties are formed & placed on the plate, take another piece of parchment paper & place it over the patties & press down on it to flatten them into a burger shape!
- Place the plate with the burgers into the freezer to give them some time to firm up to make frying easier (about 30 minutes!);
- After 30 minutes, remove the patties from the freezer & spray a skillet with avocado oil cooking spray! Once the skillet is hot AF, add the burgers to the pan & fry on each side, turning regularly, until browned & crispy, about 5 minutes on each side!
- If you want your burgers to be EXTRA FIRM & CRISPY, you can also place them on a parchment-lined baking tray & bake them at 400F for a further 20-30 minutes! But you REALLY DON’T HAVE TO! I DIDN’T & THEY CAME OUT PERFECTLY!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container & place in the refrigerator!