Homemade Vegan Golden Beet Super Simple Hummus a.k.a. Antioxidant-Rich Plant-Based Dips FTW!
Okay guys, as you all know if you follow me on Instagram, Saturdays are for MEAL PREP in my world! (Sometimes Sundays too! But I personally prefer to get it done on Saturdays so I can try to relax on Sunday!).
ANYWAY, I’m usually always quite content with the way my meal prep turns out, BUT I HAVE TO SAY THAT THIS WEEK, I’M ECSTATIC! The recipes I put together really came out perfectly & I kinda took my chances with a few things that were a bit more complicated than usual & I have to say, I’m proud of moi-self! What makes me even more ecstatic is SHARING ALL THIS DELICIOUSNESS WITH YOU!
First up on today’s meal prep menu,was HOMEMADE GOLDEN BEET HUMMUS! (You can use purple beets & follow the recipe the exact same way – I just didn’t find any the last time I went to the grocery store, so you make do with what you have!).
This recipe is great because it’s SUPER SIMPLE, which makes it super meal-prep friendly because let’s be honest, when you have 83104381 other things to prep, you don’t want your homemade dip or spread to be the one thing taking you an hour, right? I feel ya. So, to keep things simple, but still REALLY DELICIOUS, this recipe is made with just roasted golden beets, organic chickpeas, lemon, sea salt, black pepper, cumin, organic tahini & apple cider vinegar. Simple ingredients, BUT FLAVOUR FOR FREAKING DAYZZZZZ.
- It’s lemony with a kick of garlic!
- Creamy & smooth AF!
- Thick & indulgent!
Not only is it super simple, but simple often goes hand in hand with practical & this one is PRACTICAL AF! By practical I mean, you can eat it at home or take it on the go & use it on or with anything, from crackers to rice cakes to sprouted toast, bagels, or pita wraps, as a dip for tortilla chips or veggies, as a topping for bowls, as a dip for chickpea patties (which I will share the recipe for shortly!) or other meats/chicken or mixed into pasta for a mediterranean twist!
Now, let us just talk nutrition for a second! This recipe is filled with healthy fats, tons of plant-based protein, fibre, vitamin C & tons of antioxidants!
- Chickpeas are an excellent source of soluble fibre & protein, contain tons of amino acids, help detox the body & with healthy weight maintenance, good for heart health, stabilize blood sugar, lower cholesterol & help improve sleep.
- Tahini is high in vitamin E, is an excellent source of high quality protein, B-vitamins, antioxidants, lowers bad cholesterol & blow pressure, is anti-inflammatory & helps with pain relief, it also provides excellent bone health support (as it is high in calcium + zinc), helps the respiratory system & minimizes the risk of asthma.
Okay, now without further ado, let’s discuss what’s in this babe of a recipe, a.k.a. WHAT YOU NEED:
- 3-4 beets, ROASTED;
- 1 15-oz. can of organic chickpeas, MOSTLY DRAINED;
- The juice of 1 lemon;
- A pinch of sea salt & black pepper;
- 3 large cloves of garlic, MINCED;
- 2 heaping tbsp. of organic tahini;
- 1/4 cup of raw organic unpasteurized apple cider vinegar!
Now, for that HOW-TO?
- Roast your beets!
- Preheat your oven to 400F & wrap your beets in aluminum foil. Before closing the foil, spray them with coconut or avocado oil cooking spray! Close the foil & place the beets in a deep baking dish & bake at 400F for anywhere between 45 & 60 minutes. I usually do it for 55 minutes or the full 60 & they come out perfectly!
- Once they’re roasted, remove them from the oven & USING YOUR OVEN MITT, open the aluminum foil & leave the beets in the dish to cool off. (Trust me, you don’t want to start peeling them right away, unless you want to burn your hands off… & I don’t think you want that!!!).
- Once cooled, peel the beets et voilà. You’ve got your roasted beets (& you did it all by yourself, without going the store-bought route! GOOD ON YOU!)
- Add all the ingredients to your food processor & blend until smooth!
- You may need to add in some extra apple cider vinegar or the juice of 1/2 or another full lemon (if you prefer a citrusy vibe), if you find the ingredients aren’t blending well!
- Taste & adjust the seasonings as needed – remember, I ain’t a salt gal, so you may need to add more salt!
- Leftovers will keep well if sealed in an airtight container & refrigerated for up to one week!