OKAY, I don’t know about you guys but I wouldn’t mind starting my weekend with these like EVERY WEEKEND. I mean, I guess you guys can’t know it until you try them… BUT YOU TRUST ME, right? Ok, great. Now, since you trust me, get into your kitchen RIGHT NOW & make these. You’ll thank me later, seriously. Well, actually, not even really “later”. LITERALLY IN LIKE TWENTY MINUTES. Yep, that’s how easy they are to make.
Now, I did a poll on Instagram asking you guys if you were FEELING this recipe & guess what, 93% OF YOU SAID YES. So I made them. I literally had no idea what I was doing TBH, because I really wanted to use shredded coconut, but also oat flour & cacao powder & I wasn’t sure how to balance all these dry ingredients with the wet ones, BUT TURNS OUT, I FREAKING NAILED IT! And I’ll explain how shortly. But first, let’s just discuss these cookies.
- Made with just organic coconut oil, vanilla, homemade vanilla cashew milk, sea salt, gluten-free oat flour, raw organic cacao powder, coconut palm sugar, organic shredded coconut, mini vegan chocolate chips (& baking soda, but like, DOES THAT EVEN REALLY COUNT?);
- Made with no eggs (so yes, you can eat the batter). No dairy. No gluten. No soy. No refined sugar. No refined flours. At this point, I think it’s safe to say that omitting butter & eggs is a lot easier than you think!
- P.S. It’ll be SO DAMN HARD to believe there’s no butter in these babies!
- CRUMBLY AF but chewy & moist on the inside!
- Melt in your mouth chocolate-y!
- MINI & CUTE & ADORBALE & IN LOVE!!!
Basically: who needs fancy when you can have these babies ready in just under 20 minutes? I mean…
Instead of using nut butter in these babies like I tend to do in my cookie recipes, I upped my game. I used coconut oil and let me tell you, not only does it pack a host of health benefits, BUT IT ALSO GIVES THE COOKIES A SLIGHT (BUT VERY DELICIOUS) COCONUT-Y FLAVOUR!
I wasn’t joking, btw, when I said that the recipe comes together in less than 20 minutes. I know, it seems like a dream come true. IT IS. I mean, ain’t nothing better than a simple, easy chocolate chip cookie recipe (THAT’S DOUBLE THE CHOCOLATE & DOUBLE THE FUN!!!!!). Where does the double chocolate come from?
UHHH HELLO. VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIPS & RAW ORGANIC CACAO POWDER. Day made, right?
NOW, TEXTURE-WISE: Overtime, there’s something I learned about baking cookies. If you want chewy & soft cookies on the inside but crumbly AF ones on the outside, you gotta keep them int he oven for LESS TIME THAN YOU THINK! If you check on your cookies after 12 minutes & they look ALMOST DONE, but not 100% there, you take them out anyway. That’s why you should always start out with the minimal baking time! They will continue to bake a little tiny bit more when they are cooling on the pan!
THESE BABES CAME OUT PERFECTLY CRUMBLY & CHEWY ON THE INSIDE & OMG… MY COOKIE DREAMS. THEY ALL CAME TRUE.
And one last thing… BENEFIT WISE! Particularly… COCONUT OIL! I know there’s a little bit of controversy regarding just how good for you it is. But hey, you pick & choose your battles, right? And I’m on the “coconut oil is good for you” bandwagon! HOW COME?
- It’s good for your hair as it reduces protein loss & nourishes!
- It’s good for your skin because it helps prevent wrinkles, sagging, dryness & flaking!
- It strengthens your immune system!
- It prevents high cholesterol & high blood pressure levels!
- It heals damaged tissues, liver & kidney disease!
- It helps fight off mental fatigue!
- It provides relief & helps eliminate candida (yeast overgrowth)!
- It helps improve bone strength & dental health!
- It helps control blood sugar levels & improves insulin secretion due to its lauric acid content!
- It promotes healthy nutrient absorption, boosts metabolism, helps maintain healthy weight & boosts digestive health!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1/4 cup of organic coconut oil (SOFT, not melted);
- 1/4 cup of organic coconut palm sugar;
- 2 tbsp. of homemade cashew milk (OR ALMOND MILK, or other plant-based milk or regular milk, if you prefer!);
- RECIPE HERE: Homemade Vanilla Cinnamon Almond Milk a.k.a. Oh-Really?-Store-Bought-Almond-Milk-Still-Exists?-No-Thanks!Swap the almonds for cashews & soak for a minimum of 4 hours & a maximum of 12. Follow all the same steps as the almond milk, except you get to skip the entire nut milk bag step because the cashews have no leftover pulp, so no straining necessary!).
- 2 tbsp. of raw organic unsweetened cacao powder;
- 1 tsp. pure organic vanilla extract;
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda;
- 1 cup & 2 tbsp. of gluten-free oat flour;
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt;
- 1/4 cup of mini vegan chocolate chips;
- 1/4 cup of organic unsweetened shredded coconut (you can use coconut flakes, as well, if you prefer!);
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS: More coconut or chocolate chips for topping!
OKAY, pretty simple, right? I’m almost sure you’ve got all these ingredients in your pantry, STAT, which means… NO GROCERY STORE RUN FOR YOU!
Now that you’ve got the ingredients STAT, let’s get into the nitty-gritty.
- Preheat your oven to 350F & line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium/large bowl, combine all your ingredients, except your chocolate chips & stir FEROCIOUSLY (literally) until all ingredients are combined & a uniform batter has formed! The goal is for there to be no more leftover flour, cacao powder or shredded coconut & for your batter to be a uniform “ball”-ish. Ya feel me?
- Once you have your batter, add the chocolate chips & stir again to combine & make sure they are evenly incorporated into the mix!
- Using a tablespoon or cookie scoop, portion our your cookies & roll them into balls, then place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet & flatten them to your desired size! They won’t spread much during baking so, WHAT YOU SEE IS WHAT YOU GET BABY!
- Once they’re all laid out on the baking sheet or sheets, add more coconut or chocolate chips as topping, if you wish!
- Bake the babes at 350F for 12 minutes! (You can bake them for up to 14-15 minutes, but as I mentioned earlier, it’s best to take them out a bit earlier than later, because the cooking process doesn’t entirely stop the second you take ’em fresh out ‘da oven!).
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for about a week (OR A LITTLE LESS IF YOU’RE USING FRESH HOMEMADE NUT MILK, something around 4-5 days!) (THEY WILL NOT LAST THAT LONG ANYWAY!).