Gluten-Free (& Possibly Vegan!) Warm & Comforting Mexican-Style Bean Chili a.k.a. Chili For When It’s Chilly? Hell Ya!
Who’s with me when I say: YES YES YES TO CHILI ON THESE COLD WINTER DAYS!
All of you, right? Kay, knew it! I mean, who doesn’t want warm delicious comfort food when all you want to do is cozy up beside the fireplace, eat yummy food, watch TV & just chill the F out? ANYWHO, I KNOW THAT’S HOW I PICTURE WINTER! So, in line with that ideal sitch, I whipped up this thick, warm, hearty & comforting pinto & red bean chilli in just under 30 minutes!
In a nutshell, I threw in:
- tons of spices!
- nutritional yeast for a nutty cheesy flavour!
- organic tomato paste!
- raw veggies!
- bone broth for added protein + gut healing benefits (Which you can totally swap for beef or veggie broth to make this to your liking & to satisfy your dietary needs!)
- fresh cilantro!
(Yes, you read right, this recipe contains no canned tomatoes & the texture is on freaking point!).
This dish is warm, satisfying, filling, made with only the cleanest ingredients, filled with plant-based protein, healthy fats, good carbs & tons of fibre & will BLOW YOUR TASTEBUDS OUT THE WINDOW!!!!
WHAT’S ALSO SO AWESOME about this recipe is that you can really tweak it to your liking:
- Don’t like the beans I used? No problem! Swap ’em for your faves!
- Want to make this recipe vegan or vegetarian? No problem! Swap the bone broth for veggie broth!
- Are you a carnivore a.k.a. YOU NEED YOUR MEAT FIX? No problem! Throw in some ground beef, turkey or chicken!
- Crazy for toppings? SAME! Try avocado, salsa, sour cream, fresh herbs, nachos, queso, green onions, cheese, more nutritional yeast – THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!
- Don’t want to eat it juts like this? Make it part of a dish! THROW IT INTO TACO SHELLS!
- Not into spices as much as I am? Reduce your quantities or swap some of the ones I used for your best ones!
All this to say, YOU CAN MAKE THIS BABE YOUR FAVE DISH EVER BY SWAPPING IN & OUT SOME OF THE INGREDIENTS & FALLING IN LOVE WITH IT. Literally.
BTW, did you guys know that:
- Small red beans are protein & iron rich, full of fibre, antioxidants, energy-boosting, have also GI index, protect the cells, stabilize blood sugar & lower the risk of developing heart disease & certain types of cancer.
- Pinto beans also stabilize blood sugar, lower the risk of developing heart disease, improve memory, boost the immune system, are full of fibre & protein and are detoxifying!
ANYWHO, without further ado, let’s get into the deets baby!!!!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- Coconut oil cooking spray;
- 1 medium white onion, DICED;
- 4-5 garlic cloves, MINCED;
- 1 medium bell pepper, SEEDED & DICED;
- 3-4 stalks of celery, FINELY CHOPPED;
- 6 tbsp. of organic tomato paste;
- 1 cup of bone broth (Replace with beef broth or vegetable broth for vegetarian or vegan option!);
- 1 15-oz. can of organic no-salt added small red beans, DRAINED & RINSED;
- 1 15-oz. can of organic no-salt added pinto beans, DRAINED & RINSED;
- You can legit sub for any other bean of your choosing: black beans, white beans, black eyed peas, kidney beans etc. (You can even add some corn, if you wish!).
- 2-3 tsp. of chilli powder;
- 2 tsp. of ground cumin;
- 2 tsp. of smoked paprika;
- 2 tsp. of dried oregano;
- 1/2 tsp. of black pepper;
- 1/2 tsp. of sea salt;
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. of cayenne pepper;
- 1 tbsp. of nutritional yeast;
- 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro, CHOPPED;
- OPTIONAL: 1 tsp. hot sauce or 1/2 tsp. of red pepper chilli flakes
- You can also add in some ground chicken, turkey or beef!
- TOPPINGS: Avocado slices, organic salsa, sour cream, nachos, queso, green onions, shredded cheese / vegan cheese, Parmesan or Romano etc.
NOW, for that HOW-TO?
- In a large stockpot, sauté the onion & garlic in the coconut oil over medium-high heat until soft, translucent, fragrant & browned, about 5 minutes. Season with a pinch of sea salt & stir!
- Once the onion & garlic is ready, lower the heat to medium & add the bell pepper & celery & sauté for another 5-7 minutes or so, until softened & cooked through-ish!
- Add the bone broth (or other broth of your choice) & tomato paste! Stir to combine! Increase the heat to medium-high.
- Add the drained & rinsed beans, along with the spices (chilli powder, cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, black pepper, sea salt, cayenne & nutritional yeast). Simmer the mixture, UNCOVERED, until thickened, for about 10-15 minutes (After about 12 minutes, mine was perfect!).
- Remove from the heat, add the hot sauce, if using, as well as the chopped cilantro.
- Taste & season with extra sea salt, if desired! (As you guys know, I’m not much of a salt girl, so sometimes my dishes have less than more!);
- Top with additional toppings of your choice & DEVOUR!
- This chilli will keep well if refrigerated in an airtight container! (IMO, sometimes chilli is even better the day after because all the flavours have even more time to meld together in the fridge!).