OKAY GUYS, BRACE YOURSELVES. WINTER IS COMING. Or well, winter is freaking here. The other night, I was CRAVING soup! It was FREEZING & I just wanted something warm, cozy & comforting.
That same day, I had also bought bone broth, for the first time! So, instead of doing a lentil, carrot or butternut squash soup like I usually would, I figured I’d try it out with none other than my most recent obsession: ZOODLES!
But that’s not all that’s in this baby! We’re talking A BUNCH OF INGREDIENTS, each one of which packs a host of benefits (OBVI – HAVE YOU MET ME?). So what are these ingredients I speak of? I’ll give you a few hints! THINK: turmeric, ginger, alfalfa sprouts, carrots, rapini & an egg! MY GOODNESS. ARE YOU NOT DROOLING?
Before we get into this deliciousness & I reveal all the deets on how to make this babe yours, SO SIMPLY & SO QUICKLY, let’s discuss WHAT THE HECK IS THE DEAL WITH BONE BROTH!
For starters, BONE BROTH GOES WAY BACK BABY! Bone broth was actually a way our ancestors made use of every single part of an animal. Basically, by simmering the bones, marrow, tendons & ligaments of animals, healing compounds like collagen, proline, glycine & glutamine that have the power to literally transform your health are released.
In a nutshell, it benefits & HEALS every part of your body from your gut to your brain to muscles, ligaments & even, skin!
BUT, as you guys know, I am not a nutshell kinda gal, so let’s get into the deets of the benefits!
- helps heal the gut lining & reduces intestinal inflammation!
- In fact, gelatin is also beneficial for restoring strength of the gut lining & fighting food sensitives (such as wheat or dairy), helping with the growth of probiotics in the gut & supporting healthy inflammation levels in the digestive tract.
- rich in minerals that support immunity & contains healing compounds & amino acids, such as collagen, glutamine, glycine & proline!
- As you guys know, your gut is central to your overall health & given that bone broth is gut-healing, it has a holistic approach on the body & supports overall immune function. Collagen, gelatin, glutamine, proline & arginine help seal the openings int he gut lining that sometimes lead to leaky gut (when undigested particles from foods seep into a weakened intestinal lining & enter the blood stream, where the immune system detects them, becomes hyperactive & leads to inflammation, force high levels of antibodies to be released by the immune system, that cause an autoimmune-like response & attack healthy tissue.
- promotes healthy sleep, boosts mood & provides energy!
- provides joint pain relief & helps with muscle recovery!
- This is because bone broth is one of the world’s best sources of natural collagen, the protein found in vertebrae animals – in their bones, skin, cartilage, ligaments, tendons & bone marrow! & as you guys know, as we age, our joints naturally experience wear & tear, and we become less flexible. Cartilage diminishes as it gets attacked by antibodies. But, as the bone broth simmers, collagen from the animal parts leaches into the broth & becomes readily absorbable to help restore carriage!
- One of the most valuable components of bone broth is gelatin, which acts like a soft cushion between bones that helps them glide without friction & also provides us with the building blocks needed to form & maintain strong bones, which takes pressure off of aging joints & supports healthy bone mineral density.
- promotes healthy skin!
- I mean, I think at this point, I don’t have to tell you guys that collagen helps form elastin & other compounds within skin that are responsible for maintaining its youthful tone, texture & appearance, reducing the signs of aging & even reducing cellulite (which forms due to a lack of connective tissue, allowing skin to lose its firmness).
- detoxifies the cells from chemicals & improves brain function (glycine)!
- Whether we like it or not, we live in a world that is filled with an array of environmental toxins, pesticides, artificial ingredients & chemicals. While the human body does have its own means of detoxifying itself from heavy metals & toxins, sometimes it’s just TOO MUCH for it to do on its own. Bone broth (like chlorella) is a powerful detoxification agent because it helps your digestive system expel waste & promotes the liver’s ability to remove toxins, maintains tissue integrity & improves the body’s use of antioxidants.
- contains electrolytes, such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur & potassium, crucial for healthy circulation, bone density, heart & digestive health!
- contains hyaluronic acid, which promotes healthy aging, cell rejuvenation & skin firmness!
- helps keep the integrity of cartilage (glucosamine)!
- aids the metabolism!
- Glutamine is important for a healthy metabolism as it helps us maintain energy by sending nutrients, including nitrogen, to our cells!
- Amino acids in bone broth have a lot of metabolic roles, such as building & repairing muscle tissue, supporting bone mineral dentist, boosting nutrient absorption & maintaining muscle & connective tissue health!
Not bad, right?
OKAY, now let’s get into this recipe, ya dig?
But wait, before we get into it… I just want you to imagine how flavourful this soup is for just a second. Like… think of the turmeric & ginger, the savoury flavour of the broth, combined with the nutritional yeast for a little nutty / cheesy kick, delicious crunchy carrots, sautéed greens, naturally sweet peas, garlic, fresh micro greens, and a freaking perfectly yolky runny boiled egg. MY GOODNESS!!!!!
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 cup of organic bone broth (or beef or vegetable broth, if you prefer!);
- 1 zucchini, MADE INTO ZOODLES;
- 1 cup of my Kale & Green Pea Vegan “Cheesy” Garlicky Sauté a.k.a. Yes P(l)EAS(e)!!!;
- A few of my Curry Turmeric Balsamic Roasted Carrots a.k.a. Superfood-Carrots, you?, CHOPPED;
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric;
- 1 tsp. ground ginger;
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast;
- 1 egg, BOILED;
- TOPPING: 1 handful of alfalfa sprouts & black pepper (& some Sriracha, chilli garlic sauce or red pepper chilli flakes, if you prefer!).
Now, for that HOW-TO?
- Boil the perfect egg á la Kelly In The Kitch:
- Add water to a small stockpot & bring to a boil.
- Once bubbling & boiling, lower your heat to MEDIUM (usually, around a 4-5) & use a slotted spoon or just a tablespoon to drop your eggs gently into the water (LIL’ TIP: This prevents them from cracking when they hit the boiling water!).
- Let them simmer for 8-9 minutes!
- Once boiled, remove the pot from the heat & run the eggs under cold water for about a minute! (ANOTHER LIL’ TIP: This will stop the cooking process & make them a lot easier to peel, not to mention, you won’t burn your fingers!). Be gentle when peeling them as they’ll still be a bit warm to the touch & keep in mind they’re soft-boiled & still yolky!
- Add the bone broth to a medium stockpot & heat over medium heat for a few minutes, until hot, but not boiling;
- Once the bone broth is hot, add the zucchini, kale & green pea vegan cheesy sauté, curry turmeric carrots, turmeric, ginger & nutritional yeast to the stockpot & heat over medium-high heat until all the spices have been absorbed, the ingredients have been combined & the soup is boiling.
- Once the soup is ready, remove it from the heat & add it to a mediums sized bowl. Top it with alfalfa sprouts, a boiled egg, black pepper & some spice (if you wish!).
- This soup is best eaten immediately to prevent the zoodles from getting soggy if left in the fridge to marinate with the broth!