This morning, I tried BULLETPROOF COFFEE for the first time! TBH, I didn’t really enjoy it & I don’t know if it could replace my overnight oats or Greek yogurt parfaits! I sorta understand the hype because of the benefits, but I sorta don’t because of the taste & texture. I guess it’s safe to say that this bid loves her BIG BREAKYS!
I think if I ever started to drink it, it would be on the mornings where I have an early spin class. I’d have it before my workout then refuel with breakfast when I get home!
Since I get asked about it so often, I figured I would share the recipe with you guys, but I can’t say it’s something I’ll be making again! But, before I share it, I just want to mention some of the benefits that Bulletproof coffee is known to provide. I obviously only had it once so I can’t speak for all the long-term benefits. But, one thing I can say for sure is that it definitely gave me a huge boost of energy! I always feel pumped & energized for my morning workouts, but today I felt it a little more!
In case you’ve never heard of it, it’s brewed coffee (I used Nespresso) blended with grass-fed butter & MCT or Brain Octane Oil (I used Brain Octane). MCT & Brain Octane are both concentrated forms of caprylic fatty acids. MCT is 9 times & Brain Octane is 18 times stronger than coconut oil, which also possesses these essential fatty acids. Basically, Brain Octane is a concentrated form of the beneficial essential fats from coconut oil. These MCT’s (or medium-chain triglycerides) boost the energy we need from coffee, WITHOUT A CRASH.
Scientifically, the way it works is that the caffeine naturally occurring in the coffee helps transport the MCTs through the blood/brain barrier by bypassing the liver & feeding the brain with the powerful nutrients it needs.
Now, not only do you add oil to the coffee, but you also add butter! But, not just any butter! Regular, factory-farmed butter is unhealthy & processed. Grass-fed butter, on the other hand, is a rich source of vitamin K & tons of other vital nutrients. From a texture standpoint, when blended, the butter gives the coffee a very delicious, creamy, rich & frothy texture!
From a nutritional standpoint, grass-fed butter is higher in omega-3 fatty acids, CLA, beta-carotene (antioxidants), vitamin A, K, D & E. In fact, grass-fed butter is a sunny yellow colour, while grain-fed or factory-farmed butter is almost white. The lack of colour is sadly a sign that the butter comes from sick, nutrient-depleted cows. Grass-fed butter (or ghee) is high in butyrate, a short-chain fatty acid, which can help prevent & decrease inflammation & humans.
In a nutshell, all this to say that Bulletproof coffee has been shown to:
- provide a lasting boost of energy, without a post-caffeine drop crash or energy slump;
- boost cognitive function & increase focus and concentration on productive work;
- curb carb/sugar cravings (that likely come on due to energy crashes);
- prevent caffeine cravings/headaches;
- provide all the benefits of MCT’s, which require less energy & enzymes to be digested when compared to other fats known as long-chain triglycerides & are heart-healthy, brain-boosting, good for the metabolism, burned by the body for energy or “fuel” instead of being stored as fat, gut-healthy & combat harmful bacteria, virus, fungus & parasites & contain antioxidants!
- be a great way to get healthy fats (omega-3s & 6s) in first thing in the morning, which provide energy, are anti-inflammatory, fight aging, heart-healthy & help prevent diabetes & relieve symptoms of asthma or ADHD, support & help balance the hormonal system (which can in turn help with PMS symptoms, as well as skin issues or hormonal breakouts);
- protect the liver;
- boost mood & help the brain fight feelings of depression;
I also added Ceylon cinnamon, raw organic unpasteurized honey, ashwaganda & chaga mushroom powder for some added health benefits, adaptogenic effects & natural sweetness.
- Ceylon cinnamon: Anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial & anti-clotting properties. Adds some savoury sweetness to the mix without any added or refined sugars! It also helps regulates blood sugar & cholesterol and provides cognitive-boosting benefits!
- Honey: Contains enzymes, amino-acids, electrolytes, antioxidants & antimicrobial compounds, tons of vitamins & minerals, such as iron, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, zinc, B6, riboflavin & niacin, which together, helps neutralize free radicals & promote the growth of healthy bacteria in the digestive tract!
- Ashwaganda: Helps our adrenals (glands that produce hormones, one of which is cortisol) adjust to stress in our daily lives & stabilize the body’s response to stress by producing stress hormones when our body needs them & stopping to produce them when it doesn’t. Ashwaganda also protects the brain from degeneration & works to improve anxiety symptoms by destroying free radicals that cause damage to the brain & body. It boosts mod, reduces fatigue, improves focus, sleep & immune function.
- Chaga: An immune-boosting superfood that’s great for heart & liver health, acts as an adaptogen (great for coping with stress & anxiety & overall mental stability), has tons of antimicrobial properties & is jam-packed with antioxidants!
Now, how do you make this?
Um. IN A BLENDER. Literally.
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides;
- 1 tsp. Bulletproof Brain Octane oil;
- 1 tsp. Ceylon cinnamon;
- 1 tsp. Lee’s Provisions Hazelnut ghee;
- 2 Nespresso pods brewed (I used ristretto);
- 1 tsp. Suro Canada chaga mushroom powder;
- 1 tsp. Organic Traditions ashwaganda;
- 1/2 tsp. Peace River raw organic unpasteurized honey.
Now, for that HOW-TO?
- Simply add all the ingredients to your NutriBullet or blender & blend until frothy!
- Pour into your fave cute mug & enjoy!