So I get a lot of questions about why I add greens to my smoothies, or rather, HOW I CAN STOMACH IT. So many people think that by adding kale, spinach, other leafy greens or green superfood powders to their smoothies, they won’t enjoy them. BUT IT’S NOT THE CASE! You just gotta do it right & balance the greens out with the fruit & other ingredients!
So why do I add greens to my smoothies?
- Greens are a great way to get my veggie fix! That’s not to say that I don’t eat enough veggies, let’s be honest, BUT it’s a great way to get in an extra dose of veggies, without even really feeling it!
- Greens provide a lasting source of energy (Fruits are also a good source of energy but provide short bursts due to their sugars, which are quickly metabolized. Greens, on the other hand, are filled with fibre, B vitamins & many other nutrients that provide energy, as well as high in iron, which helps reduce fatigue & overall feelings of weakness).
- Greens are also a perfect way to balance the sugar content of my smoothies (Fruit is healthy & it’s natural sugar, but that doesn’t mean you can overdose on it either! everything in moderation!).
- Greens are full of fibre, which makes green smoothies super filling & great for digestion!
- Greens are also easy to digest! (Since the veggies are blended & liquified, my body doesn’t need to work so hard to break down the food to extract the nutrients!).
- Greens are hydrating!
- Dark leafy greens (kale + spinach) are rich in vitamins A, C, K + folate & minerals, such as calcium, iron, potassium + magnesium & protein, are heart healthy and rich in antioxidants, such as beta-carotene & lutein, which prevents many chronic disease!
- Green superfoods are also a great addition to smoothies because they add tons of nutrition without adding bulk, volume or taste to smoothies (try chlorella & spirulina!).
Not into smoothies?GREEN JUICE IT UP!
Here are some smoothie recipes that incorporate greens:
- Post-Workout Blueberry Chocolate Protein Smoothie a.k.a. So-Much-Chocolatey-YES!
- Reduced-Sugar Chocolate Blueberry Spinach Smoothie a.k.a. Cut Your Sugar & Have Your Smoothie Too? YES PLEASE!
- Tropical Greens Protein & Collagen Breaky Smoothie a.k.a. Your Recipe To Energizer-Bunny It Out All Morning!
- Reduced-Sugar Blueberry Spinach (& Cauliflower) Protein Shake a.k.a. The Prettiest Purple Smoothie You Ever Did See!
- SUPERFOOD Greens Vanilla Vegan Protein Shake a.k.a. All Your Green Dreams Coming True (You Have Those Too, Right?)
- Strawberry Maca & Cashew Protein Smoothie a.k.A. When Your Post Workout Shake Is Everything from Collagen to Adaptogens to Fibre to Protein!
- Kelly’s Mixed Berry & Cherry Adaptogen Cocoa Vanilla Almond Protein Smoothie a.k.a. Good-For-Your-Skin-Hair-Stress-Muscle-Recovery-&-MAGICALLY-DELICIOUS-&-CREAMY!
- Kelly’s Greens, Frozen Fruit For Days & Greek Yogurt Afternoon Pick-Me-Up Smoothie a.k.a. That-Perfectly-Refreshing-Protein-Packed-Naturally-Sweetened-Dose-of-Wonderfulness
- (Undercover) Cauliflower, Berries & Greens Vanilla Protein Smoothie a.k.a. That Whole “Cauli-In-Your-Smoothie” Craze Is WELL WORTH The Hype! I Swear!