HI AGAIN BABES (Last one for tonight, I think!)
GUYS, this sprouted green lentil & fresh veggie salad with dried cranberries in a lemon balsamic cumin & oregano vinaigrette is SO. MUCH. YES. It is legitimately the epitome of plant-based protein & makes for a great meal, whether at home or on-the-go!!
As you guys know because this is tots something I’ve spoken about in the past, lentils pack a ton of health benefits (& even more so, when they are sprouted!)
If you want to see my other recipes that use lentils, CLICK HERE:
- Deliciously Protein & Fibre-Packed Lentil Green Goddess Salad with Cranberries & Butternut Squash Topped with Creamy-AF Greek Yogurt & Tossed in Kelly’s Honey Dijon Vinaigrette
- Clean-Eating Yummy-AF Green Lentil, Spinach & Fresh Veggie Salad Tossed in a Beautiful Lemon, Tahini & Cumin Vinaigrette
- Vegan Warm & Hearty Best Ever Sprouted Green Lentil Soup
So why do I use them?
Well for starters, I FREAKING ENJOY THE NUTTY FLAVOUR & TASTE. But, as you guys know… I eat for benefits. So yes, flavour is good & all (But let’s be honest, McDonald’s tastes good too & you can be sure AF I ain’t eating that). ALL THIS TO SAY: EAT FOR BENEFITS!
What are some of the health benefits of lentils?!
- high in protein & fibre!
- Their high soluble fibre content helps reduce blood cholesterol.
- low sugar & sodium, but good for you carbs!
- Just one serving will provide you with 20% or the recommended daily value of iron, 4% of calcium + 8% of vitamin C!
- Lentils are heart-healthy, digestive-system healthy & help stabilize blood sugar!
- They give a good boost of energy!
- They boost metabolism!
- Help with optimal brain functioning & help in preventing cellular damage!
- When sprouted, they help with muscle generation in the body!
- Rich in antioxidants!
- BTW, sprouting helps preserve the health benefits & optimizing & boosting the nutritional profile of lentils, increasing vitamins, micronutrients & activating digestive enzymes. one serving will provide you with 20% or the recommended daily value of iron, 4% of calcium + 8% of vitamin C!
Now, let’s talk about this salad! It’s super simple, but simple can mostly ALWAYS be delicious. It’s all about combining the right ingredients & making something beautiful & delicious come to life! Ya feel?
Anyway, THAT’S WHAT I DID HERE! I combined the comforting, hearty & nutty flavoured lentils with some fresh crunchy veggies & topped it off with some organic unsweetened dried cranberries to naturally sweeten & add a bit of chew to the salad! And oh boy… DO NOT get me started about the delish spice combination in the dressing. LEGIT HEAVEN.
I’ll stop teasing you & take you right to heaven stat.
Let’s first discuss what you need to make this babe of a recipe!
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1 cup of Tru Roots sprouted green lentils (+ 3 cups of water);
- 1 medium/large cucumber, DICED;
- 3-4 stalks of celery, CHOPPED;
- 1 large bell pepper, DICED;
- 1 small red onion, DICED;
- 1/4 cup of dried organic unsweetened cranberries;
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 3 tbsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar;
- 3 tbsp. organic balsamic vinegar;
- The juice of one lemon;
- Sea salt & black pepper for seasoning;
- 1 tsp. grond cumin;
- 2 heaping tsp. of dried oregano;
- 1 tsp. of pure organic maple syrup (or 2, if you prefer a sweeter dressing!).
Now, for that HOW-TO?
- Cook your lentils according to package directions! The ones I used were cooked as follows: For 1 cup of lentils, boil 3 cups of water in a medium stockpot. Once boiled, add the lentils to the stockpot & boil for about 5 minutes. Once boiled, remove the lentils from the heat & let sit COVERED for about 5-10 minutes, until water is absorbed or until desired texture/consistency is obtained (depending on whether you like them a little mushier or crunchier!).
- You may have to drain some water after the 5-10 minutes!
- Once cooked, set your lentils aside & allow them to cool.
- While your lentils are cooling, cut up your veggies!
- Once your lentils have cooled off, add your veggies to a large bowl, then add in the lentils!
- What’s freaking awesome about this salad is that you can season it right in the bowl because all the ingredients are easily combined & absorbed, without having to blend or whisk them! Add the dressing ingredients & toss to coat all the lentils + veggies in the seasoning!
- DEVOUR STAT or store in an airtight container & refrigerate!