Back AGAIN (Yes, again – I meal-prepped today, remember?). This time, here with a good ‘ol protein option for you babies! & by protein option, I’m talking GLUTEN-FREE ALMOND MEAL TUNA FRITTERS!
Before we begin, I just want to give you guys a little heads-up, or a BUYER-BEWARE! When you’re buying canned tuna, make sure to follow my grocery tips here: GROCERY TIP: What’s The Verdict on Canned Tuna?!
Like most foods, canned tuna is healthy & good in moderation, BUT, that’s only the case if you buy the RIGHT KIND. That’s where my post comes in!
OKAY, now that we’ve got you covered & you know the nitty-gritty deets on canned tuna, let’s talk about this recipe! So basically, I wasn’t in the mood for chicken or turkey today. I boiled some perfectly-yolky eggs but I still needed another protein to have throughout the week (I mean, I’m not gonna eat eggs everyday, ya feel me?). So, no chicken. No turkey. No eggs. HOW ‘BOUT SOME TUNA BABY? (That’s basically what happened, not to mention the fact that I had bought six cans & they were just chilling there staring me in the eye, so ya know, I gave in).
This recipe is DELICIOUS & FLAVOURFUL FOR DAYS! There’s something about the way all the flavours meld together… from the crumbliness of the almond meal, to the heat from the chilli flakes & the smokey spice from the paprika to the savouriness of the green onion, to the citrusy zest of the lemon, to the zing of the Dijon & topped off with just the right amount of sea salt & black pepper… OH BABY.
Not only is it delicious, but it’s also PALEO, VEGETARIAN, DAIRY, GRAIN, GLUTEN & REFINED SUGAR-FREE!
Wait, it gets better. IT’S READY IN JUST 15 MINUTES… I swear. And only takes 5 MINUTES TO COOK!
And last but most certainly not least, it does not get more versatile than this!!! These cute little fritters are perfect for appetizers, side dishes, owls, salads, sandwiches, wraps &/or lettuce wraps, burgers, tacos OR DEVOURED AS IS!
Now, what do you need to make ’em? Let me explain!
- 2 cans of organic wild tuna (My favourite brand is Earth’s Choice);
- 1/2 cup of almond meal;
- 1 tsp. of red pepper chilli flakes;
- 2 tbsp. sliced green onion;
- 2 tbsp. chopped dill;
- 2 tsp. raw organic Dijon mustard;
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt;
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika;
- 3 cloves of garlic, MINCED;
- 1-2 tbsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar;
- 1 egg;
- Coconut oil cooking spray!
NOW, for that HOW-TO?
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients (except the egg) & mix until fully combined & incorporated;
- Once all your ingredients are combined, you will find they are not holding together perfectly JUST YET. Do not worry! That’s where the egg comes in. Crack the egg into your bowl & stir to combine with the rest of your ingredients!
- Once your tuna fritter batter is formed (if that’s a thing?), form into approximately 8 medium-sized patties (depending how small or large you want them, you may have more or less accordingly).
- Place the patties on a plate & put them in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes to chill & firm up a bit! (This is to facilitate your life when you fry them! – IT’S WORTH IT, TRUST ME. THEY WON’T BREAK!);
- Heat the coconut oil cooking spray in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Once heated, lower heat to medium & add the tuna fritters & cook for about 2-3 minutes per side!
- Once cooked, remove the fritters from the heat & either serve immediately, as desired or place on a plate to cool off & then store in an airtight container & refrigerate!