I’m really on a roll tonight!
Tonight’s dinner was a quick & easy (YOUR FAVE WORDS TO SEE IN ONE OF MY RECIPES, NO?) ground turkey spinach & roasted veggie salad! TBH, I had to make it to the gym in a minute (Okay, not actually) & didn’t want to get to my workout with no fuel or energy in my system! So… whipped up something quick!
My loves, a little word of Kelly In The Kitch advice RN: Being in a hurry doesn’t mean you have to skip eating altogether or pick up something unhealthy! Sometimes, all it takes is a few minutes, a bit of imagination & you’re munching on some REAL FOOD in no time!
Salads like these make it easy to make healthy food choices because they don’t require much time (or effort, TBH), they’re filling, delicious, super nutrient-dense & packed with tons of vitamins & minerals!
OBVI this salad will take a bit longer to make if you don’t have my Mexican Turkey Burgers ready in the fridge, or some other type of protein that you meal prepped, such as chicken breast or another type of animal or plant-based protein! BUT… DO NOT DESPAIR!
Even if you had no time to meal prep this week, you can always throw in some organic canned tuna (Read my post here on EVERYTHING you need to watch out for when buying canned tuna: GROCERY TIP: What’s The Verdict on Canned Tuna?!), some chickpeas, red kidney beans or any other type of bean or plant-based legume!, goat cheese or another type of high-protein cheese! BASICALLY, THERE’S ALWAYS A PROTEIN OPTION ON HAND!
So in a nutshell, in this salad: we’ve got chopped spinach, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, one of my Mexican Turkey Burgers chopped up, slivered organic almonds & some eggplant & carrots I roasted earlier this week! I tossed this deliciousness in a simple lemon apple cider dressing & DINNER WAS SERVED (NOT TO MENTION, DELISH AF).
And as you guys know, as always, it’s not ONLY about flavour, but it’s also about what benefits you can reap from the food that you are consuming!
- SPINACH: Low in cholesterol, high in antioxidants, niacin, zinc, protein, fiber, vitamins A, C, E, & K, thiamin, B6, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium & manganese. BASICALLY, THE LIST NEVER ENDS.
- CUCUMBER: Vitamin A + C, folic acid! KEEP THE SKIN ON for extra fibre, magnesium & potassium! It also contains silica, which is a trace mineral that helps strengthen connective tissue. OH & it’s super hydrating & amazing for the skin!
- TOMATOES: Full of the antioxidant lycopene, which has been linked to many health benefits, such as: reduced risk of heart disease & cancer. Also great source of potassium, vitamin C, folate, vitamin K!
- ALMONDS: Amazing source of vitamin E, magnesium, fiber & protein, as well as magnesium, copper, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, iron & B vitamins! They’re heart-healthy, rich in monounsaturated fat, cholesterol-free & a good source of plant-based protein!
- EGGPLANT: Super heart healthy & a great source of dietary fibre! Rich in: vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin B6, thiamin, niacin, magnesium, phosphorous, copper, folic acid, potassium & manganese!
- CARROTS: Good source of vitamin A, in the form of beta-carotene (a.k.a. antioxidants!). It’s great for eye health & vision, boosts the immune system & reduces blood sugar levels!
OKAY, not bad, right? BY NOT BAD, I MEAN FLIPPING AMAZING, BTW!
Let’s get right to this AMAZING-NESS, kay?
My loves, YOU WILL NEED:
FOR THE SALAD:
- TONS OF FRESH SPINACH, CHOPPED;
- A 1/2 pint of cherry tomatoes, HALVED;
- 1 medium sized cucumber, DICED;
- Any & all kinds of roasted veggies – I used eggplant & carrots (For my full guide on how I roast my veggies, click here: My Go-To Guide For Roasting & Sautéing Veggies From Start To Plate To Devour a.k.a. Making Your Meals (& Life) Easier One Day At A Time!
- 1/8 cup of raw organic slivered almonds (a.k.a. 2 tbsp.);
- 1-2 of my Mexican Turkey Burgers, DICED UP (or PROTEIN OF YOUR CHOICE!);
FOR THE DRESSING:
- The juice of one organic lemon;
- 2 tbsp. raw organic apple cider vinegar (Read about all the benefits HERE: The Nitty-Gritty on None Other Than APPLE CIDER VINEGAR!)
- A hint of pure organic maple syrup (Read about all the benefits HERE: The Nitty-Gritty on Healthy Sugar Alternatives & Substitutes a.k.a. Nobody-Said-You-Couldn’t-Curb-Them-Sugar-Cravings-Just-Curb-‘Em-Wisely!)
- 1/2 tsp. of smoked paprika;
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder;
- Sea salt & black pepper!
- OPTIONAL: 1 tbsp. organic balsamic vinegar for a little bit more sweetness!
NOW, for that HOW-TO?
- Add all your veggies to a large bowl (don’t add the almonds yet!);
- In a separate bowl, make the dressing – simply whisk together all the ingredients until fully combined & incorporated!
- Pour the dressing over the salad & toss until all your veggies are evenly coated in the dressing;
- Top with the almonds, mix & DEVOUR!